I know I live in a "red" area as far as politics goes, and I am 77 and concerned about this country and watching farms being sold, dairy operations going broke, weather dramatically changing, etc. I need not mention all that is not right with the laws of the land, let alone the rise in child abuse, drugs. I could go on, but I am submitting this list that I think is important.
Long-term bitterness — Deep anger about the Democrats losing the election in 2016 created an underlying bitterness to which President Donald Trump’s viciousness and expansionism appealed. Many people gave him support.
Ineffective Constitution — Weaknesses in the Constitution crippled the government. Trump ignored all rules and laws and cited Article 2. In fact, there were many people in the United States who wanted a change. When the crisis came in 2019-2020, there was no one who was prepared or able to fight to stop Trump, not even the courts we all rely on to enforce the laws and the constitution.
• Money — The financial support of wealthy businessmen gave Trump the money to run his propaganda and election campaigns.
• Propaganda — Trump propaganda persuaded the U.S. masses to believe that everyone, including the media was corrupt.
• Programs — Trump promised something, so they supported him.
• Attacks on other parties — The Republicans attacked all the people who opposed Trump. Many opponents kept quiet simply because they were scared of losing their next election and the judges simply let the Republicans go free because they controlled the Senate.
• Personal qualities — Trump was a brilliant speaker, and his eyes had a peculiar power over people. He was a good organizer and politician. He was a driven, unstable man, who believed that he had been called by God to become the permanent leader of this great country. His self-belief persuaded people to believe in him, even when they knew he was wrong, but out of fear they did nothing.
This country, in my opinion is ready to crash. The stock market has nothing to do with jobs, but most think it does, and further cannot sustain itself much longer and will adjust. I know how hard it is when two people work and have kids and are tired at 5 o’clock and are in bed by 10! Been there, done that.
I didn’t pay attention to politics, but times have changed dramatically. Please pay attention!
Betty VanLeer resides in Oakwood.