A transformer fire damaged one building and prompted patient evacuations Wednesday at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System.

The fire department received a fire alarm call at 9:15 a.m. Wednesday in Building 58 at the VA, 1900 E. Main St. But as firefighters arrived they received word the actual fire was outside the rear of Building 103, located in the center of the veterans’ facility campus.

Danville Assistant Fire Chief Don Hanetho said a large electrical transformer was on fire at the rear of the building. Flames from the blaze spread to Building 103, damaging three patient rooms as well as the siding and roof of the structure.

“It could have been much worse,” he said.

The fire caused a power outage across the VA buildings as well as buildings on the adjacent Danville Area Community College campus.

VA spokesman Doug Shouse said Building 103, which holds three patient units, was evacuated as a precaution. All of the patients were taken from the building safely, Shouse said.

Hanetho said the patients were moved from the building prior to the fire department’s arrival. Firefighters also searched the building to ensure all patients and personnel were outside. No injuries were reported.

Because of the excessive smoke in the building, an estimate as to the total damage was not immediately available.

Lara Conklin, a spokeswoman for DACC, said no class schedules were altered for Wednesday as a result of the power problems. Power was down for about a half-hour at DACC.

Ameren personnel also responded to the scene at the VA.

Recommended for you