Man escapes house fire through window

Christopher Morrical|Commercial-NewsDanville firefighters extinguished a blaze Wednesday morning in this house on Edith Street. Initial reports of people trapped inside the burning building proved to be incorrect. Damage was estimated at $30,000. No injuries were reported, although the family dog died in the house.

DANVILLE — Danville firefighters responded Wednesday morning to a structure fire call on Edith Street with possible entrapment.

En route, the crews were advised there was an occupant who escaped the residence at 716 Edith through a window, but that there might be others inside.

"We arrived on scene and one half of the house was completely involved," said Assistant Chief Don McMasters. "We hit the fire from the outside and knocked it down and then went in to do a search of the residence."

Firefighters found no other occupants, but a family dog did die inside.

The house — valued at about $30,000 — was considered a total loss.

There were no other injuries reported among the firefighters or the man who escaped out the window.

The fire remains under investigation.

Recommended for you