DANVILLE — Firefighters extinguished a garage fire Friday afternoon that ejected a plume of smoke visible from across town.

Capt. Don McMasters of the Danville Fire Department said the command officer coming from Station 3 on Griffin Street could see the smoke before reaching Griffin and Voorhees streets, enroute to 4 Terrace Ave.

Five units, including an investigations crew, responded just before 4 p.m. Friday to find an attached garage fully engulfed in fire that was starting to bleed into the house and into the attic, according to McMasters.

“However, they were able to hold the fire and put it out in the garage and keep it from pulling it out into the house,” McMasters said. He reported that crews worked until about 7 p.m.

During the fire, one car inside the garage was destroyed. Another car inside the garage was driven out by a resident before it sustained some front end damage, according to McMasters.

For the building and contents valued at $120,000, McMasters reported damages valued at $45,000. He said the fire has been ruled as accidental, and that no injuries were reported during the event.

Trending Video

Recommended for you