DANVILLE — Danville District 118 school board members Wednesday will consider amending the 2020-2021 school year calendars for the traditional calendar schools as well as for Northeast Elementary Magnet School and prekindergarten.
Superintendent Alicia Geddis said Illinois law has changed so that students must now attend 176 teaching days of school starting next school year.
The District 118 board already had approved the calendars for the 2020-2021 school year at a previous school board meeting, so now it must amend those calendars.
For traditional calendar schools, Aug. 12 will be a teacher institute day, Aug. 13 and 14 will be early dismissal days for students and Aug. 17 will be the first full day for students.
At Northeast, July 21 will be a teacher institute day, July 22 will be an early dismissal day for students and July 23 will be the first full day for students.
Also on Wednesday, board members will:
• Consider approving the Maternal Infant Early Childhood Home Visiting/igrow program memorandum of understanding which is a partnership between District 118 and other county, state and federal agencies to serve Vermilion County children and families through home visiting programs. The partnership connects families to resources and supports — such as health care, development service, early education, parenting skills, child abuse prevention and nutritional education or assistance — to make a difference in a child’s health, development and ability to learn.
• Consider approving updates to the Board of Education policy.
Geddis said the policy needed to be updated to reflect new legislation related to cannabis and to add protocol on dealing with sexual harassment claims against school board members.
The updates include allowing properly trained school nurses and/or administrators to oversee giving cannabis-infused products, such as oils, ointments and food, to students with a prescription. The law excludes administering cannabis that is smoked or vaped.
“The district is still able to enforce a zero tolerance, drug-free work policy,” she said.
Another update sets the protocol in dealing with sexual harassment claims made against school board members. The incident would be reported to the superintendent who would initiate an investigation by a third party.
• Review a first reading of a vendor advertising agreement that would allow the district to sell advertising to be placed on a new video scoreboard in the Danville High School gymnasium that was donated anonymously.
Under the proposed agreement, businesses and companies can pay to have logos digitally appear on the scoreboard screen for a one-year term, starting with the 2020-2021 school year. The proceeds from the advertising will go to the DHS athletic department
In the following year, the vendors already advertising will receive first chance at securing their spot on the board.
Any type of advertisements on athletic fields, scoreboards or other building locations must be approved by the school board.
• Hear the times and dates for the 2020-2021 Centralized Registration event at the David S. Palmer Civic Center. They are 3-7 p.m. Wednesday, June 10; noon to 6 p.m. Thursday, June 11; and 8 a.m. to noon Friday, June 12.
• Hear the dates and places of the 2021 birth-to-three, prekindergarten and preschool screening schedule. They are Thursday, Aug. 13, New Life Church of Faith, 1419 N. Bowman Ave., Danville; and Thursday, Aug. 20, Ridgeview Baptist Church, 3838 N. Vermilion St., Danville.
In the fall, on Wednesday, Sept. 2, First Presbyterian Church, 915 E. Orange St., Hoopeston; Thursday, Sept. 3, (Salt Fork children) Catlin United Methodist Church, Sandusky and Vermilion, Catlin; Tuesday, Sept. 8, Rossville Church of Christ, 514 E. Attica St., Rossville; Wednesday, Sept. 9, Westville Public Library, 233 S. State St., Westville; Thursday, Sept. 10, Fair Oaks Community Center, 1607 Clyman Lane, Danville; Tuesday, Sept. 15, Potomac United Methodist Church, 107 S. Vermilion St., Potomac; Wednesday, Sept. 16, Bethel Baptist Church, 501 S. Main St., Georgetown; Thursday, Oct. 8, Central Christian Church, 1101 N. Vermilion St., Danville; Thursday, Nov. 12, New Life Church of Faith, 1419 N. Bowman Ave., Danville; and Thursday, Dec.10, Central Christian Church, 1101 N. Vermilion St.
In 2021, Thursday, Jan. 28, Bethel Baptist Church, 501 S. Main St., Georgetown; Thursday, Feb. 4, First Presbyterian Church, 915 E. Orange St., Hoopeston; Thursday, Feb. 11, Ridgeview Baptist Church, 3838 N. Vermilion St., Danville; Thursday, Feb. 18, (Salt Fork children) Catlin Methodist Church, Sandusky and Vermilion, Catlin; Thursday, Feb. 25, Rossville Church of Christ, 514 E. Attica St., Rossville; Thursday, March 4, Westville Public Library, 233 S. State St., Westville; Thursday, March 11, Ridgeview Baptist Church, 3838 N. Vermilion St., Danville; Thursday, March 18, Northside Church of Christ, 17167 County Road 2750 N, Bismarck; Thursday, April 8, (Oakwood children) Faith Baptist Church Annex, 920 Warrington Ave., Danville; Thursday, April 15, Central Christian Church, 1101 N. Vermilion St., Danville; and Thursday, April 22, New Life Church of Faith, 1419 N. Bowman Ave., Danville.