MATTOON — Danville freshman Javeonte Crider advanced to the IHSA Class 3A state wrestling tournament on Saturday, taking second in the 113-pound class.
Crider (23-4) beat Civic Memorial’s Drake Boverie in the semifinals before losing 6-3 to Cahokia’s Dameon Adams in the final.
Teammate Trae Wilson ended up fifth at 145, leaving him one spot short of the top four to qualify for next week’s tournament in Champaign while Westville’s Tyler Dicken also took fifth in the 195 class.
In the Class 1A Olympia sectional, Bismarck-Henning 285-pounder Morgan Supergan went up against Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley’s Josh Wallick once again in the finals and fell short in a 4-1 loss to Wallick.
Supergan was undefeated for the season until losing to Wallick in last week’s regional at Bismarck.
Teammate Jarod Noel took fourth in 170 pounds, getting him the final spot to qualify in the class.
Along with two Blue Devils, two Oakwood wrestlers will also be going to Champaign. Antonio Alvarez ended up third at 126, coming back from a decision to sectional champion Jack Lucie of Warsaw before defeating Carthage’s Dustin Huss (pin in 1:08) and Knoxville’s Jake Wiegand (5-1).
Teammate Austin Shelton ended up fourth at 138 for the last spot.
The state finals will start on Thursday at Assembly Hall at the University of Illinois.
PREP BOYS BASKETBALL
Iroquois West 44
MILFORD — Seniors Josh Killion and Wyatt Alt combined for 18 points as the Bearcats won their final home game of the season.
Jeff Cann had 12 points to lead Milford, who was down 27-20 at halftime before outscoring Iroquois West 27-17 in the second half, while Killion had 11, Alt and Jordan Gullquist each had seven and Jacob Rogers and Alex Portwood each had five.
For Killion, Alt and Daniel Koehn, it was their last home game.
The Bearcats are 12-14 and will play Schlarman Academy on Tuesday.
Clinton Prairie 45
FRANKFORT, Ind. — Chandler Spring had 20 points as the Trojans got past Clinton Prairie in non-conference action.
Alex Frechette had 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists for Covington, who was up 44-37 after the third quarter, but outscored Clinton Prairie 15-8 in the fourth, while James Foley had 10 points with eight rebounds, Travis Coleman had eight and Gage Hegg added six.
The Trojans will host North Putnam on Friday.
- Woodrow, Mustangs take sectional title VEEDERSBURG, Ind. -- During the pregame warm-ups of Saturday's Class 2A Sectional 38 championship, the host Fountain Central pep band played The White Stripes' 2003 hit, "Seven Nation Army." In the song's opening line, singer Jack White exclaims: "I
- Danville's Leverenz beats out the rest in Charger invite CHAMPAIGN -- In an battle of two of the best long-distance runners in the area, Danville's Johnny Leverenz was the one that beat out the rest in the Class A 1,600 meter run in Saturday's Charger Invitational. Leverenz ran a time of 4 minutes, 16.57 s
- Saturday's Local Sports Scores
- Ice is set to go away from ponds and lakes On a trip down to Marshall this past Thursday I was noticing some smaller ponds just beginning to lose their ice along the edges. With the warm weather predicted for today and early this week, I expect the ice to begin to slowly disappear from our a
- Parkland powers past DACC in Region 24 tourney MATTOON -- Size and depth are two very important elements to a good basketball team. The Parkland College women's basketball team had the advantage in both of those areas in Saturday's NJCAA Division II Region 24 Tournament semifinal contest against
- Mustangs advance to sectional final VEEDERSBURG, Ind. - Fountain Central had a strong start, got a big lead and fought off a tenacious Seeger boys' basketball team to advance to the championship game of 2A Sectional 38 with a 67-45 win. The Mustangs jumped out to a quick 9-2 lead then
- Falcons fall to Rox CAYUGA, Ind. -- In a physical IHSAA 1A Boys Basketball Sectional semifinal, the North Vermillion boys basketball team lost to Wabash River Conference rival Rockville 61-53 on Friday at North Vermillion High School. Rockville came out with an aggressi
- Jaguars lose in playoffs LINCOLN -- The Danville Area Community College men's basketball team's season ended on Friday with a 80-77 loss to Lincoln College in the Region 24 playoffs. DACC coach DaJuan Gouard said the game represented the theme of the season. "We were up by e
- Illini hope for strong ending IOWA CITY -- The Illinois men's basketball team got themselves back into postseason consideration with three straight wins thanks to a suffocating defense. But the Michigan Wolverines, the outright champions of the Big Ten Conference, sliced through
- Friday's Local Scores At Normal Community IHSA Class 4A Regional Championship Normal Community 71, Danville 42 Normal Community (71) -- Grant Donath 1-4 0-1 2, Zac Thompson 3-6 0-0 9, Alex Peacock 12-16 1-1 25, Duane Farrington 4-5 2-2 12, Tyler Seibring 7-11 7-7 23, Davi
- More Sports Headlines