MATTOON — Danville freshman Javeonte Crider advanced to the IHSA Class 3A state wrestling tournament on Saturday, taking second in the 113-pound class.
Crider (23-4) beat Civic Memorial’s Drake Boverie in the semifinals before losing 6-3 to Cahokia’s Dameon Adams in the final.
Teammate Trae Wilson ended up fifth at 145, leaving him one spot short of the top four to qualify for next week’s tournament in Champaign while Westville’s Tyler Dicken also took fifth in the 195 class.
In the Class 1A Olympia sectional, Bismarck-Henning 285-pounder Morgan Supergan went up against Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley’s Josh Wallick once again in the finals and fell short in a 4-1 loss to Wallick.
Supergan was undefeated for the season until losing to Wallick in last week’s regional at Bismarck.
Teammate Jarod Noel took fourth in 170 pounds, getting him the final spot to qualify in the class.
Along with two Blue Devils, two Oakwood wrestlers will also be going to Champaign. Antonio Alvarez ended up third at 126, coming back from a decision to sectional champion Jack Lucie of Warsaw before defeating Carthage’s Dustin Huss (pin in 1:08) and Knoxville’s Jake Wiegand (5-1).
Teammate Austin Shelton ended up fourth at 138 for the last spot.
The state finals will start on Thursday at Assembly Hall at the University of Illinois.
PREP BOYS BASKETBALL
Iroquois West 44
MILFORD — Seniors Josh Killion and Wyatt Alt combined for 18 points as the Bearcats won their final home game of the season.
Jeff Cann had 12 points to lead Milford, who was down 27-20 at halftime before outscoring Iroquois West 27-17 in the second half, while Killion had 11, Alt and Jordan Gullquist each had seven and Jacob Rogers and Alex Portwood each had five.
For Killion, Alt and Daniel Koehn, it was their last home game.
The Bearcats are 12-14 and will play Schlarman Academy on Tuesday.
Clinton Prairie 45
FRANKFORT, Ind. — Chandler Spring had 20 points as the Trojans got past Clinton Prairie in non-conference action.
Alex Frechette had 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists for Covington, who was up 44-37 after the third quarter, but outscored Clinton Prairie 15-8 in the fourth, while James Foley had 10 points with eight rebounds, Travis Coleman had eight and Gage Hegg added six.
The Trojans will host North Putnam on Friday.
- Monday's Local Scores PREP BOYS BASKETBALL At Danville First Baptist 64, Decatur Christian 43 Decatur Christian (43) -- Herring 1 2-2 5, Rennert 0 0-0 0, Wilson 1 0-0 2, Rapp 2 0-0 4, Bayless 4 0-2 8, Austin 0 0-0 0, Grider 1 0-0 2, Jefson 10 0-1 20, Aten 1 0-0 2. Totals:
- Tigers do just enough to defeat Comets FITHIAN -- Adrianne Pate had 13 points as the Westville girls basketball team defeated Oakwood 43-35 in Vermilion Valley Conference action on Monday. Mikayla Rolinitis had 13 points for the Tigers while Ji'Cee Lacey had eight points. Delaney Durst ha
- Sharing the wealth DANVILLE -- Making the extra pass and sharing the basketball was a priority this week during practice for Danville Area Community College men's basketball. "We have a bunch of talented offensive guys,'' DACC first-year coach DaJuan Gouard said. "It's
- Danville boys swimmers win opening home triangular DANVILLE -- The Danville boys swim team started the season on Saturday by besting Urbana and St. Thomas More in a triangular meet at Danville High School. Tristan Wolfe and Lucas Miller each won two events for the Vikings. Wolfe won the 50-yard frees
- Saturday's Local scores PREP BOYS BASKETBALL At Jamaica Cissna Park 44, Salt Fork 41 Cissna Park (44) -- Josh Marquez 4 3-5 14, Jacob Marquez 3 3-4 9, Devon Laubscher 0 0-0 0, Tyson Rogers 2 0-0 4, Huls 0 0-0 0, Beetz 0 0-0 0, Savoie 2 0-0 5, Jennings 2 0-0 4, Birr 1 0-0 2,
- Total team effort reigns supreme Balanced Ironmen attack takes down Vikings, Smith Total team effort reigns supreme BY CHAD DARE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trojans go to the inside to defeat Mustangs Trojans go to the inside to defeat Mustangs BY AARON PATTERSON email@example.com
- Tigers step things up on defense FITHIAN -- As the second half started Westville Tigers steps up the pressure defense against the Oakwood Comets and went on a 11-0 run to extend the lead to 19 points over a three and a half minute span to clinch a 57-42 win on Friday. "I feel that
- Blue Devils pull ahead to get win over Sages BISMARCK -- The Bismarck-Henning boys basketball team took over Friday's game with Monticello with a 15-5 second quarter and would go on to win 63-53. Andy Bott had 27 points for the Blue Devils, while Chase Swinford and Dylan Allen each had 11 point
- Friday's Sports Scores PREP BOYS BASKETBALL At Normal Normal Community 64, Danville 49 Danville (49) -- Victor Askew 0-0 0-0 0, Colin Bailey 3-5 0-0 9, Denzel Smith 8-14 4-4 22, Kylen Butler 4-15 0-0 9, Jarhed Watson 4-8 0-0 9, Anthony Thomas 0-0 0-2 0, Aubrey Duncan 0-0 0
- More Sports Headlines