All good things must come to an end.
For the Danville Dans, it was a Prospect League 11-game winning streak that was halted by the Quincy Gems, 3-2, in the opening game of a Prospect League doubleheader on Sunday night at QU Stadium.
But that first loss in the month of July didn’t keep the Dans from taking a two-game lead in the Prospect League’s All-Star game.
That’s because Danville came back to win the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader, 8-0, and the Dans wound up winning two of three in Quincy with a 7-2 win on Monday night.
“Quincy is a very good team and they are a very tough team to play at their place,’’ Danville Dans coach Jason Watson said. “So, while we were disappointed in losing the first game, to come back and win the next two is huge.
“After that first game, I just asked the guys, ‘why not start a new streak?’”
These last two victories over the Gems will allow the Dans to enjoy a two-game lead in the Prospect League’s West Division during the league’s three-day all-star break.
“The guys have shown up and played very good baseball for the past two weeks,’’ Watson said. “It’s a nice reward for them to get a few days off and they can enjoy being in first place.’’
Danville (29-12) used a good combination of high-powered offense and good pitching to beat Quincy (28-15) on Monday night.
Troy Conyers went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBIs, including his first home run of the summer. In all the Dans belted out 13 hits, four of them for extra bases in Monday’s victory.
“Troy swung it well tonight,’’ Watson said.
On the mound, it was Corbin Olmstead striking out 11 in seven innings as he improved to 3-1 for the Dans.
“Corbin did a nice job of pounding the zone and he had good velocity,’’ Watson said. “He was hitting 93 mph in the seventh inning.’’
In the first game on Sunday, Steven Pallares went 1-for-3 with a run scored and he drove in a run for the Gems, who got 2Ï innings of shutout relief from Jake Busiek, Austin Tribby and Joseph Mortillaro.
Watson said the Dans had the tying run on third base with less than two outs in the both the sixth and seventh innings.
“We had our chances,’’ he said. “But this time, we could get the key hit that we needed.’’
Danville third baseman Tyler Selesky had a solo home run in the two-run fifth inning for the Dans.
In the second game on Sunday, Zach Gordon along with Jon Rashid and Evan Dunn combined on Danville’s fifth shutout of the season. Gordon got the win, improving to 2-1.
Olmstead went 2-for-3 with a 3-run homer in Danville’s four-run third inning.
Jake Thomas had two hits and two runs scored for the Dans, while Casey Fletcher went 1-for-3 with two runs scored and Chet Simoneaux was 1-for-3 with two RBIs.
Five players will be representing the Danville Dans at the Prospect League’s All-Star Game in Butler, Pa., on Wednesday.
Conyers will be the starting pitcher for the West Division and joining him will be Fletcher of Newtown, Selesky, Miles Nordgren and Chet Simoneuax, who was just recently added to the squad.
Danville will return to action on Friday with a 6:05 contest in Terre Haute against the Rex, while the next home game for the Dans is a doubleheader next Saturday with the Springfield Sliders.
The first game will a completion of a suspended game starting at 5 p.m. with the regularly scheduled nine-inning game to follow. It’s also McPack the Place night at Danville Stadium with tickets avaiable at local McDonald’s restaurants.
All good things must come to an end.
- Harvick sets the pace at Indy INDIANAPOLIS — Growing up in Bakersfield, Calif., IndyCar driver Rick Mears was the childhood hero for Kevin Harvick.Mears is one of three men to have won four Indianapolis 500s and he has won a career-best six poles for the “Greatest Spectacle in Ra
- Click Clak Tre wins consolation championship DANVILLE — Saturday’s Dustbowl action at the David S. Palmer Arena had a full day of action ending with the Men’s Division Consolation Championship Game. The Consolation Championship was played between Rantoul’s Mon Stars (Rantoul) and Click Clak Tre
- No Headline Provided DANVILLE — Adult action started at the Greater Danville Tennis Open on Saturday with one title decided. Stacy Wells won the women's open singles division with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 win over Katie Larck. The rest of the action was mostly semifinal play. IN
Dans get past Cavemen
Shumaker hits a home run with two RBIs as Danville defeats Hannibal after delay
- Dans make most of second chance DANVILLE — Baseball can be a funny game, and as often is the case, a player can be the goat one minute, and the hero the next.Trevor Rucker blooped a shot down the right field line that caromed off the glove of Hannibal second baseman Jeff Smith to d
- Stars advance to boys final DANVILLE — The 42nd Annual Dustbowl action continued Thursday at David S. Palmer Arena with the High School Boys basketball division in full swing as four games were played and all eight teams participated. In game one of the winner’s bracket of sem
- Baseball community to honor Atwood DANVILLE — Whether it was working on the field or running a tournament, there wasn’t anything that Frank Atwood wouldn’t do for the game of baseball.His love for the game created numerous opportunities for the youth of the Danville area as Atwood ser
- Dans get a split of doubleheader with Cavemen HANNIBAL, Mo. — The Danville Dans won the first game of a doubleheader with the Hannibal Cavemen 3-1 on Thursday before losing the second game 5-3 to get a split.In the first game, Corbin Olmstead pitched seven innings with eight strikeouts to get th
- Danville Post 210 Speakers fall to Rantoul CHARLESTON — Playing five games in five days finally took its toll on the Danville Post 210 Speakers.Rantoul’s Tanner McLain delivered a game-winning, two-out single to left to give his team a 6-5 victory over Danville in an elimination game of the F
- Juniors continue to play at Danville Tennis Open DANVILLE — The juniors were still on the court in the Greater Danville Tennis Open on Wednesday as three division titles were given out.Rachael Lewis won the girls 18 and under singles title with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Lauren Ellis, while the team of Er
- More Sports Headlines