The Commercial-News, Danville, IL

August 31, 2013

Salt Fork opener halted by lightning

The Commercial-News

---- — JAMAICA — Salt Fork’s season opener was one of several games affected by lighting Friday night. The Storm and the Arcola Purple Riders got in one half of play in but as they came out for the second half, officials sent them back to the locker rooms. After waiting for a potential clearing the coaches and officials decided to finish the game Saturday afternoon.

With a scheduling conflict Saturday morning at Jamaica High School, the two sides will begin the second half at 5 p.m.

“There are not a whole lot of positives,” Coach Brian Plotner said. “Luckily we’re playing with the lead and not trying to come from behind but It hurts when you have some momentum at the end of the first half and the kids were ready to come out in the second half.”

The Storm had a 23-0 lead after two quarters of play, but Salt Fork’s mindset is not about defending their lead.

“Our philosophy is always that it’s zero-zero,” Plotner said. “That’s the kind of attitude we’re going to come back into the game with.”

Both defenses came out strong but the Storm offense started running the jet sweep to the outside and it was very effective.

“With (Taylor) Kirby and (Seth)McLain the jet sweep worked very well,” Plotner said. “We have two kids that are pretty good permiter runners and work well with space. “

Kirby ran it once for a 68-yard gain and a couple plays later put points on the board with a 9 yard touchdown run.

In the second quarter Salt Fork had a very unfortunate play when on the Arcola 1 yard line a fumble stopped them from taking a two score lead.

But fate was on the Storm’s side as directly after the turnover the entire Storm defensive line broke free picking up a safety.

“We caused some havoc for Arcola,” Plotner said. “They got some yardage but we found some ways to stop their two really good running backs.

When they got the ball back on the kickoff, quarterback Jacob Hughes didn’t waste any time. With just 37 seconds of game time used Hughes connected with Nick Hedges on a 37 yard touchdown pass.

The Storm extended their lead again with 6:13 left in the half when Kirby ran the jet sweep for 37 yards. A 2 point conversion pass from Hughes gave the Storm a 23-0 lead with one half in the books.

In just one half, Kirby compiled 136 yards with two touchdowns while Hughes went 5-for-8 passing with the one touchdown and one interception.

For Arcola, they are led by quarterback Clayton Strader in both rushing and passing with 46 yards on the ground and just 5 through the air.

The game will resume at Jamaica High School at 5 p.m.

Also, two other games in Illinois was postponed as the second half of Oakwood/Armstrong-Potomac’s game with Flanagan-Cornell-Woodland was moved to today at 7 p.m. while Hoopeston Area’s first game in two years will end on Tuesday against Arthur-Lovington.

In Indiana, Seeger’s game with Benton Central, Attica’s game with Clinton Prairie and Covington’s game with Rockville will all finish up today at 10 a.m. EDT.