The Commercial-News, Danville, IL

August 24, 2013

Mustangs set tone early in opening win

The Commercial-News

---- — NEW MARKET, Ind. – It took only one play for the Fountain Central football team to set the tone in their game at Southmont.

The Mustangs scored on their second snap of the game to take a 6-0 lead en route to a 50-31 victory.

After throwing an incomplete pass on their first play, Fountain Central gave the ball to Jared Fishero who ran down the right side of the field for a 68-yard score.

“We cane out and were excited to play,” said Fishero. “We really turned it on from the start – we were coming off some

tough two-a-days so we were ready to play.”

The Mustang defense then gave up only one first down on the next Southmont series and then the offense returned to the

field to pick up where they left off.

Fishero, Daniel Harrison and quarterback Koby Pierce combined to move the ball to the Mountie 29.

The next play was a reverse from Pierce to Fishero to Trevor Loveall and the senior cruised in for a touchdown that, after the

extra point made it 14-0.

Southmont went three-and-out, messed up their punt play, fumbling the ball with Ethan Woodrow recovering for Fountain


The Mustangs fumbled on their next play giving the ball back to the Mounties, but the hosts returned the favor – and the ball –

two plays later.

Getting the ball on the Mountie 22, the Mustangs took two plays to score – a pass from Pierce to Loveall and a keeper by

Pierce to go up 21-0.

Christian Viveros kicked off for Fountain Central and executed what Mustang kicking coach Brett Sheldon call “a perfect kick”

that allowed Thad Crain break past the front row of Southmont receivers and grab the ball.

Pierce wasted no time in hitting Loveall again for a 23-yard touchdown pass that put Fountain Central up 28-0.

“You can’t ask for a better start than that 28-0 in the first quarter,” said Fountain Central head coach Brian Moore. “We came

out and played strong, but I think we tired a bit in the second half.”

Before that second half arrived, the Mustangs added 24 more points while giving up thirteen to lead 42-13 at intermission.

After scoring the last points in the first half, Southmont used that as a springboard into the third quarter – a period that saw

them pull within 17 only eight minutes gone.

Fountain Central regained control by going 47 yards for a touchdown – the last six yards coming on a run by Pierce. A two-point run by Fishero followed to make the score 50-25 as the third quarter ended.

The final period saw the Mounties add one more touchdown to make the final score 50-31.

“I think they keyed on what we were doing in the first half and changed things to get those points,” said Fishero. “On the

defense, we said we had to get a stop and get the ball back to the defense. We got them stopped; we scored and then we

were okay.”

Moore said he liked much of what he saw, noting that his team made few mistakes, but that there were two things they needed

to improve.

“I thought our tackling in the open field was horrendous and I think we got tired in the second half.”

He had kind words for his offensive line, saying, “They are the strength of our team. They came out and really played hard.

It’s just what I wanted to see.”

Greg Flint is a freelance writer/photographer for the Commercial-News. He can be reached at