College: Grand Valley State
Weight: 185 pounds
Hometown: Louisville, Ky.
Family: mother, Cheryl Banks; father: Jeff Banks; and sister, Allyson Banks.
Host family: Mark and Thea Dodd
Major: criminal justice
2013 statistics: batted .225 with 4 home runs and 25 RBIs. Banks also had nine doubles and he scored 22 runs to go along with a .984 fielding percentage.
Best baseball moment: reaching the NCAA Division II World Series in Cary, N.C.
Best non-baseball moment: going Big Red fishing with my dad.
Other interests: fishing, hunting and lifting weights.
Favorite pro team: Cincinnati Reds
Favorite athlete: Yadier Molina
Favorite color: green
Favorite food: anything from breakfast.
Favorite actor: Will Ferrell
Favorite actress: Megan Fox
Favorite movie: Remember the Titans
Favorite TV show: Criminal Minds
Favorite Cartoon: SpongeBob
Favorite musician: Brantley Gilbert
Mode of transportation: Chevrolet Silverado
First job: never had a job
Vacation spot: Panama City, Fla.
Motto: “Go hard or go home.’’
Hannibal vs. Danville
When — 6 p.m. (completion of suspended game from June 1 and regular 9-inning contest)
Where — Danville Stadium
Ticket prices — $6 for adults, $3 for school-age children
Promotion — It’s a triple-play Wednesday at Danville Stadium. For $9, an individual gets admission to the game, a hot dog and a drink.
Events — Golden Wedding Anniversary Night sponsored by the City of Danville Recreation Department.
Probable starting pitchers — Hannibal: LHP Travis McDonald (3-1, 0.30 ERA); Danville: RHP Corbin Olmstead (1-1, 2.02 ERA)
— Chad Dare/Commercial-News
- DACC splits with Parkland DANVILLE -- To quote Bull Durham, "this is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Despite eminent threats in the forecast, it didn't rain on Sunday at
- Danville standout Smith signs with Wabash Valley DANVILLE -- A year ago, Mike Carpenter left Danville Area Community College to take the head coaching position at Wabash Valley College. On Monday afternoon, Carpenter returned to Vermilion County and this time, he secured the services of Danville Hi
- No Headline Provided Local COLLEGE BASEBALL At Danville Stadium, Danville Game 1 Parkland College 5, Danville Area Community College 3 Parkland 100 310 0 -- 5 9 0 Danville Area 000 300 0 -- 3 7 1 WP -- Bryce Pennington. LP -- Zach Anderson. Two or more hits -- Parkland:
- Local Sports Calendar TODAY Prep Baseball Covington at Attica, 3:30 p.m. Seeger at North Vermillion, 3:30 p.m. Danville at Schlarman Academy, 4:30 p.m. Salt Fork at Tri-Valley, 4:30 p.m. Prep Softball Seeger at North Vermillion, 3:30 p.m. Covington at Attica, 3:30 p.m. Un
- Rising to new HEIGHTS DANVILLE -- Before last season, the name Denzel Smith probably didn't mean a whole lot in the prep boys basketball world. But with a breakout season during his junior year, Smith all of the sudden started popping up on the radars of a lot of basketba
- Vikings show skill in 7-0 victory DANVILLE -- One of the most promising aspects of this year's Danville High girls soccer team is its depth. Head coach Katie Gremar has believed since the beginning of the season that her squad has tremendous potential, and much of that confidence has
- Beckman still looking for answers after game CHAMPAIGN -- Hopefully, the third time is the charm. University of Illinois Fighting Illini head coach Tim Beckman began his third year on Saturday with the annual Spring game at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, and there are still a lot of questions t
- DACC baseball splits two with Parkland CHAMPAIGN -- With a run in the top of the seventh inning of the second game of a doubleheader, the Danville Area Community College team salvaged a split Saturday with a 3-2 win. Austin Hayes had two RBIs for the Jaguars, while Nick Barrientos had one
- Saturday's Local Scores PREP BASEBALL At St. Joseph Game 1 St. Joseph-Ogden 2, Danville 0 Danville 000 000 0 -- 0 3 5 SJO 110 000 x -- 2 3 2 WP -- Hart. LP -- Mike Vascura Two or more hits -- D: Austin West. 2B -- SJO: Godou. RBIs -- SJO: Goud
- Vikings pick up first win of the season against Trojans COVINGTON, Ind. - The Danville baseball team had a breakout game when they traveled to Covington to face the Trojans. The Vikings came out on top 14-1 in five innings thanks to good hitting and great pitching. Danville had nine hits, drew seven walks
- More Sports Headlines