HUNTSVILLE, Ala. —
Dec. 14, 1923 – June 2, 2013
Former Danville school teacher Sue Christiansen, 89, of Huntsville, Ala., passed away June 2 of complications from Alzheimer’s disease.
Born Dec. 14, 1923, in Danville, she was the daughter of a Disciples of Christ minister from Charleston, S.C., who later served in the Illinois state legislature.
While serving a church in Sidell, her father, Augustus deGafferelly, met his wife-to-be, Leslie Green. The young family moved to Greensboro, N.C., where Sue started first grade.
When the Depression hit they moved back to Illinois to live with relatives. Sue graduated from Danville High School in 1941. She was a French horn player in the marching band. In 1945 Sue graduated from Illinois State University in Bloomington. It was there in Bloomington she met a young lieutenant, Howard “Chris” Christiansen, back from World War II.
Sue and Chris married in 1946. Sue taught fourth grade at Fairchild Elementary and McKinley Elementary and managed the family’s portrait studio, Chris Photo. Long before the invention of Photoshop, Sue was retouching negatives by hand. She also was skilled at adding color to black and white portraits. She liked returning to her high school alma mater to help Chris photograph the annual school dances.
Sue Christiansen was an active member of Central Christian Church. She taught Sunday school and was a leader in the church’s Christian Women’s Fellowship group.
In 1964 the family moved to Huntsville, Ala., where she continued teaching elementary school. She started an accredited pre-school program at her church, and she began a successful cross stitch business in Huntsville.
If there’s one thing Sue loved to do through-out her life it was cook and entertain. It wasn’t uncommon to have 30 hungry friends at her home. They weren’t stuffy formal affairs, just lots of good friends and plenty of hugs. Sue spent many hours preparing meals to take to shut-ins around town. There also were many trips to the hospital and nursing homes where she comforted the sick. She practiced the principles of her Christian faith all her life.
Sue and her husband, Chris, joined the Friendship Force Organization and traveled throughout Europe, South America and Australia, staying with host families. In turn, families from around the globe would stay at their home in Huntsville.
Sue Christiansen is survived by her husband, Chris; daughter, Debbie Thompson; sons, Dick and Tim; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her sister, Lynn Lawhorn; and her brother, Dean Hillis deGafferelly.
Visitation will be noon-1 p.m. Sunday, June 9, at First Christian Church, Huntsville, Ala., immediately followed by the funeral service. Burial will be in Valhalla Memory Gardens.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to First Christian Church’s Early Childhood Ministry.
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. —
Dec. 14, 1923 – June 2, 2013
- Bruce 'Big Bruce' Lee Eldridge ROSSVILLE — Bruce “Big Bruce” Lee Eldridge, 40, of Rossville, passed away at 9:24 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014.
- Mary Anne Arnholt Mary Anne Arnholt, 79, of Danville, passed away on Sunday, March 9, 2014, at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.
- Ora Davis WESTVILLE -- Ora Davis, 88, of Westville, passed away at 8:42 a.m. Monday, March 10, 2014, at Colonial Manor, Danville. She was born April 8, 1925, in Mattoon, Ill., the daughter of James Franklin and Elsie May (Eldridge) Martin. Ora married Jay M. D
- Hubert Leroy Jordan DANVILLE — Hubert Leroy Jordan, 64, of Danville, passed away Sunday, March 9, 2014, at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville.
- Darrell Lee Reynolds WEST LEBANON, Ind. — Darrell Lee Reynolds, age 81, of West Lebanon, Ind., died at 8:27 a.m. on Sunday, March 9, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Richard B. Martin DANVILLE — Richard B. Martin, 71, of Danville, passed away at 9:58 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014, in the emergency room at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville.
- Mary Ann (Smith) Astell WEST LEBANON, Ind. — Mary Ann (Smith) Astell, age 91, of West Lebanon, Ind., died at 4:45 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014, at Williamsport Nursing & Rehabilitation Center.
Dorothy Ashby, 96, of Danville, passed away at 11:08 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014, at Presence United Samaritans medical Center, Danville. She was born Dec. 31, 1917, in St. Petersburg, Fla., the daughter of Ernest and Lucy (Redden) Green. She marrie
- Terra Dillon Terra Dillon, 47, of Danville left this life at 5:25 p.m. on Thursday, March 6, 2014, at her residence. Terra was born Jan. 8, 1967, in Lafayette, Ind. She was the daughter of Terry and Tomma McBride Craycraft. Terra married Lance Dillon on Aug. 27,
- Joyce M. Adams Joyce M. Adams, 73, of Danville, passed away on March 7, 2014. She was born July 9, 1940, in Danville, the daughter of John C. and Irene Chastain Crowell. She is survived by her sons, Wade (Mary) Adams and Lincoln (Paige) Adams; her sisters, Betty (G
- More Obituaries Headlines