Myran Jean Staple, 73, of Danville, passed this life at 1:10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.
Myran Jean was born Dec. 12, 1938, in Webb, Miss., to the late Teddy Shepherd and Eddie Mae Curtis.
She married John Henry Staple on Jan. 8, 1954, and they shared more than 35 wonderful years together, raising three daughters and six sons.
Over the years, Myran Jean held many different jobs as she worked to help provide for her family. She was a domestic worker for a number of families in Vermilion County and a short-order cook at the Black Cat Restaurant. Looking for more stability, she started working at the Egg Plant in Champaign. She left the Egg Plant and went to work at Peterson Puritan Aerosol factory, where she retired after 27 years.
Myran Jean was a community activist who lived to serve others. She devoted her life to improving the quality of life for all human beings. She loved her community and worked to instill a sense of pride in everyone she came in contact with. She treated everyone as if they were a member of her own family by sharing the warmth and comfort of her smile, by lending a patient, listening ear and, of course, by sharing her down-home Southern cooking.
Over the years she volunteered at the various food pantries in Danville and organized Thanksgiving community dinners, feeding more than 500 individuals each year. Also, she provided rides for medical appointments and organized youth trips to Disney World. She found great joy in doing for others.
Myran Jean was a faithful member of Saint James Freewill Baptist Church, where she labored for more than 50 years. She served as a church mother, member of the finance committee, usher board, supervised the junior ushers and was a member of the trustee board. As a loving mother of the church, she was dedicated in serving the Lord. Myran Jean often visited and supported other churches in the community.
Myran Jean enjoyed walking at the mall, reading her Bible and spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She also was a member of the Laura Lee Fellowship House Golden Seniors and actively participated with the monthly luncheon meeting held for General Motors retirees. Myran Jean was very passionate about her cooking, and there were no strangers at her dinner table. She enjoyed traveling both in the Unites States and abroad.
She leaves to cherish her memories five sons, Henderson (Sandra) Staple of Chicago, Robert Staple of New Orleans, La., John Henry (Jill) Staple Jr. of Stockbridge, Ga., Melvin Staple of Los Angeles, Calif., and Ronnie (Lisa) Staple of Beloit, Wis.; two daughters, Belinda J. Carr of Macomb and Nickie F. Staple of Danville; daughter-in-law, Doris Staple of Lansing; two sisters, Rosemary (Edward) Martin of Chicago and Johnnie Mae Dorris of Champaign. She has 20 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. Also, she has many nieces and nephews. She especially adored and appreciated her nephew, Ricky Brown.
Myran Jean was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, two brothers, one sister, one son and one daughter.
Myran struggled with serious illnesses during the past nine months. However, those nine months were a gift from God that she treasured. Throughout these trying times her faith in the Lord never wavered.
Her life will be celebrated at a service on Saturday, Nov. 17. Visitation: 11 a.m. and service at noon at New Life Church of Faith, 1419 N. Bowman St., Danville. Officiating: Elder Frederick Cowen. Interment: Spring Hill Cemetery. A public viewing will commence from 1-5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, at Leek & Sons Funeral Home, 304 E. Williams St., Danville.
Condolences and memorials may be sent by accessing: www.leekandsonsfuneralhome.com.
- Aural M. Combs Sarver Aural M. Combs Sarver, of Bradenton, Fla., and formerly of Danville, passed from this life Aug. 18, 2014. She was born Jan. 23, 1937, the daughter of Harry and Hazel Meeker Combs.She married Lloyd Wilkin March 29, 1957. Together, they had three sons.
Mildred Christine Utesch
Mildred Christine Utesch, 83, peacefully passed away Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014.
- Bertha Lynn Grider Bertha Lynn Grider, 46, of Danville, passed away Monday, Aug. 18, 2014.Bertha was born Sept. 18, 1967, a daughter of Freeman Keith and Leona Estep. She survives.Bertha loved life. She enjoyed riding motorcycles, watching Chicago Bears football and sp
- Nels Peter Rasmussen, Sr. Nels Peter Rasmussen, Sr., 87, of Goreville and formerly of Alvin, passed away at 3:18 a.m. Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, at his home.Nels was born Feb. 17, 1927, in Rankin, to Rasmus and Katie (Christiansen) Rasmussen.He married Madge M. Young in June of 1
- Mary Agnes Stack Mary Agnes Stack, 62, of Danville, passed away Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, at Gardenview Manor after a long illness.She was born Jan. 10, 1952, in Danville, the daughter of Donald and Rita (Kramer) Stack.Mary will be deeply missed by six brothers, Joseph
- Clara Alice Guffey Clara Alice Guffey, 85, of Hoopeston, passed away at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug.17, 2014, at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.She was born Jan. 17, 1929, in Austin, Texas, the daughter of Roy and Ada (Smith) Elsey.She married William Guffey on March 25
- Lee Ann Burleson Lee Ann Burleson, 31, of Danville, passed away at 9:27 p.m. Friday, Aug. 15, 2014, at her home surrounded by her family and friends.Funeral services will begin at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, at Pape Family Funeral Home, 10 E. Williams St., Danville, w
- John Brent Starns John Brent Starns, 65, of Lawrenceville, Ga., died Aug. 17 2014, at Gwinnett Medical Center.He was born Sept. 29, 1948, in Danville, the son of Robert Viers Starns and Beverly Jane Miller Starns. He married Lynne Anne Daniels on April 15, 1983, in Me
- Barbara "Jeanie" Deck Barbara “Jeanie” Deck, 64, of Hoopeston, passed away at 10:06 p.m. Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.Jeanie was born on May 9, 1950, in Hart County, Ky., the daughter of Norlen Veachel and Ruth Jane (Milburn) Hensley.She m
- Geraldine 'Gerry' Allen Boyden Geraldine “Gerry” Allen Boyden, 89, of Milford, died at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014.Gerry was born Nov. 18, 1924, on the family farm to Roy and Myrtle Allen in Goodwine.She attended Amity School for eight years before graduating from Milford H
- More Obituaries Headlines