Myran Jean Staple, 73, of Danville, passed this life at 1:10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.
Myran Jean was born Dec. 12, 1938, in Webb, Miss., to the late Teddy Shepherd and Eddie Mae Curtis.
She married John Henry Staple on Jan. 8, 1954, and they shared more than 35 wonderful years together, raising three daughters and six sons.
Over the years, Myran Jean held many different jobs as she worked to help provide for her family. She was a domestic worker for a number of families in Vermilion County and a short-order cook at the Black Cat Restaurant. Looking for more stability, she started working at the Egg Plant in Champaign. She left the Egg Plant and went to work at Peterson Puritan Aerosol factory, where she retired after 27 years.
Myran Jean was a community activist who lived to serve others. She devoted her life to improving the quality of life for all human beings. She loved her community and worked to instill a sense of pride in everyone she came in contact with. She treated everyone as if they were a member of her own family by sharing the warmth and comfort of her smile, by lending a patient, listening ear and, of course, by sharing her down-home Southern cooking.
Over the years she volunteered at the various food pantries in Danville and organized Thanksgiving community dinners, feeding more than 500 individuals each year. Also, she provided rides for medical appointments and organized youth trips to Disney World. She found great joy in doing for others.
Myran Jean was a faithful member of Saint James Freewill Baptist Church, where she labored for more than 50 years. She served as a church mother, member of the finance committee, usher board, supervised the junior ushers and was a member of the trustee board. As a loving mother of the church, she was dedicated in serving the Lord. Myran Jean often visited and supported other churches in the community.
Myran Jean enjoyed walking at the mall, reading her Bible and spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She also was a member of the Laura Lee Fellowship House Golden Seniors and actively participated with the monthly luncheon meeting held for General Motors retirees. Myran Jean was very passionate about her cooking, and there were no strangers at her dinner table. She enjoyed traveling both in the Unites States and abroad.
She leaves to cherish her memories five sons, Henderson (Sandra) Staple of Chicago, Robert Staple of New Orleans, La., John Henry (Jill) Staple Jr. of Stockbridge, Ga., Melvin Staple of Los Angeles, Calif., and Ronnie (Lisa) Staple of Beloit, Wis.; two daughters, Belinda J. Carr of Macomb and Nickie F. Staple of Danville; daughter-in-law, Doris Staple of Lansing; two sisters, Rosemary (Edward) Martin of Chicago and Johnnie Mae Dorris of Champaign. She has 20 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. Also, she has many nieces and nephews. She especially adored and appreciated her nephew, Ricky Brown.
Myran Jean was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, two brothers, one sister, one son and one daughter.
Myran struggled with serious illnesses during the past nine months. However, those nine months were a gift from God that she treasured. Throughout these trying times her faith in the Lord never wavered.
Her life will be celebrated at a service on Saturday, Nov. 17. Visitation: 11 a.m. and service at noon at New Life Church of Faith, 1419 N. Bowman St., Danville. Officiating: Elder Frederick Cowen. Interment: Spring Hill Cemetery. A public viewing will commence from 1-5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, at Leek & Sons Funeral Home, 304 E. Williams St., Danville.
Condolences and memorials may be sent by accessing: www.leekandsonsfuneralhome.com.
- Talmadge Ray "Wimpy" McDaniel COVINGTON, Ind. — Talmadge Ray “Wimpy” McDaniel, 83, of Covington, Ind., died at 3:17 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home with his wife and children by his side.He was born in Winthrop, Ind. on Dec. 5, 1930, the son of Carl and Victoria (Carron
- Vera E. Pickett Vera E. Pickett, of Veedersburg, Ind., passed away on her 80th birthday, Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville.Mrs. Pickett was born July 27, 1934, in Sumiton, Ala., the daughter of Olin and Pearley (Robbins)
- Donna K. Orlea Donna K. Orlea, 66, of Danville, passed away at 3:24 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville.Donna was born Jan. 7, 1948, the daughter of Carl and Audrey Irene (Hanson) Ganley.Donna will be missed by her d
- BOBBY LEX THOMAS LADOGA, Ind. — Bobby Lex Thomas, 66, passed away at 3:55 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his residence in Ladoga, Ind.Thomas was born May 20, 1948, in Williamsport, Ind., the son of Orie Lex Thomas and Margie (Milburg) Etchison.He married Vicki L. B
- Robert Eugene Parrish Robert Eugene Parrish, 85, of Danville, passed away at 1:35 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home.Robert was born Jan. 22, 1929, in Oakwood Township, the son of Walter F. and Carrie (Gosser) Parrish Sr.He married Jayne Wilson on Dec. 21, 1953, at
- BOBBY LEX THOMAS LADOGA, Ind. — Bobby Lex Thomas, 66, passed away at 3:55 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at his residence in Ladoga, Ind.Thomas was born May 20, 1948, in Williamsport, Ind., the son of Orie Lex Thomas and Margie (Milburg) Etchison. He married Vicki L. B
- Talmadge Ray "Wimpy" McDaniel COVINGTON, Ind. — Talmadge Ray “Wimpy” McDaniel, 83, of Covington, Ind., died at 3:17 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home with his wife and children by his side.He was born in Winthrop, Ind., on Dec. 5, 1930, the son of Carl and Victoria (Carro
Lloyd Donald "Don" Paxton
Lloyd Donald “Don” Paxton, 92, of Danville, passed away Thursday, July 24, 2014, at Hawthorne Inn in Danville.Services will begin at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, at Pape Family Funeral Home, 10 E. Williams St., Danville with Pastor Raymie Gordon officia
- Richard Daniel Perotto On Tuesday, July 15, 2014, Richard Daniel Perotto of Mount Juliet, Tenn., and Eagle River, Wis., passed after a life-long struggle with CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth) disease.
- Howard Thomas Hargrove Sr. WEST LEBANON, Ind. — Howard Thomas Hargrove Sr., 85 of West Lebanon, died at 5:10 p.m. EDT Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at his residence.Howard was born in Nashville, Tenn., on Sept. 13, 1928. He was the son of Frank C. and Frances Elizabeth (Waynick) H
- More Obituaries Headlines