A service sponsored by the Joint Veterans Council will start at 11 a.m. Monday at the Danville National Cemetery. The Marine League is in charge of this year’s cemetery.
The keynote address will be given by U.S. Rep. John Shimkus, District 15, who also is a retired lieutenant colonel with the Army Reserve. He will be introduced by Robert Fox, past commander of American Legion Post 210.
Then, several groups will place wreaths, including: American Gold Star Mothers, Korean War veterans, Marine Corps League, American Legion Post 210 and auxiliary, American Legion District 18 auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 728 and auxiliary, women’s Ex-POW Illiana Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and War Dads Auxiliary 61.
A Memorial Day Mass open to the community will take place at 10 a.m. Monday at Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, 818 Wendt.
The Kennekuk Road Runners will have their 29th annual Memorial Day Run & Walk on Monday at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System, 1900 E. Main St. Race day registration is from 7:30-8:30 a.m. The race will begin at 9 a.m. Once participants enter the campus, there will be signs to direct them.
Kennekuk Road Runners will donate all proceeds from the event to the VA for veterans. Usually about 250-300 runners/walkers participate.
The Charles Forrest American Legion Post 288 will hold the following events:
Memorial Day service — 11 a.m. EDT today at Rose Hill Cemetery, Hillsboro, Ind.
Annual Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast — 7-9:30 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg City Building, 100 S. Main St.
Memorial Day service — 10 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg War Memorial Park. The Fountain County War Museum will be open for tours.
The American Legion Post 263 will host a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. EDT Monday at the post. The Ladies Auxiliary will have finger foods available after the ceremony.
American Legion Post 203 will conduct a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. at the Veterans Monument.
- Local News
- School sign-up begins
- CRIS offers breakfast
- Police, Fire Reports
- County clerk on hunt for general election judges DANVILLE — The Vermilion County Clerk’s office is looking for a few good men and women for this year’s general election.On Thursday, Vermilion County Board members certified the county’s first group of election judges for the November general electio
- Report: Medicare looking better WASHINGTON — Medicare’s financial future is looking brighter despite a growing wave of baby boomers reaching retirement.Getting relief from a slowdown in health care spending, the program’s giant hospital trust fund won’t be exhausted until 2030, the
- Police Reports Incidents reported to police include:DanvilleFriday:Battery and obstructing an officer in the 1600 block of East English Street.Burglary at The Juke, 1214 E. Main St.Saturday:Theft in the 1500 block of Oak Street.Vehicle burglary in the 100 block of
- Two hurt in weekend shootings in Danville DANVILLE — Two victims are listed in good condition following a pair of weekend shooting incidents in Danville.Danville Director of Public Safety Larry Thomason confirmed the shootings, which took place around 8:15 p.m. Friday and just before 5 a.m.
- Fire Calls Firefighters responded to the following calls:Saturday, 10:08-10:23 a.m. — A medical call in the 200 block of Delaware Avenue.Saturday, 10:47-10:54 a.m. — Assist Medix in the first block of East Harrison Street.Saturday, 11:37-11:49 a.m. — A medical
- Library sets program for Farmers' Market
- Reception celebrates truck
- More Local News Headlines