A service sponsored by the Joint Veterans Council will start at 11 a.m. Monday at the Danville National Cemetery. The Marine League is in charge of this year’s cemetery.
The keynote address will be given by U.S. Rep. John Shimkus, District 15, who also is a retired lieutenant colonel with the Army Reserve. He will be introduced by Robert Fox, past commander of American Legion Post 210.
Then, several groups will place wreaths, including: American Gold Star Mothers, Korean War veterans, Marine Corps League, American Legion Post 210 and auxiliary, American Legion District 18 auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 728 and auxiliary, women’s Ex-POW Illiana Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and War Dads Auxiliary 61.
A Memorial Day Mass open to the community will take place at 10 a.m. Monday at Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, 818 Wendt.
The Kennekuk Road Runners will have their 29th annual Memorial Day Run & Walk on Monday at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System, 1900 E. Main St. Race day registration is from 7:30-8:30 a.m. The race will begin at 9 a.m. Once participants enter the campus, there will be signs to direct them.
Kennekuk Road Runners will donate all proceeds from the event to the VA for veterans. Usually about 250-300 runners/walkers participate.
The Charles Forrest American Legion Post 288 will hold the following events:
Memorial Day service — 11 a.m. EDT today at Rose Hill Cemetery, Hillsboro, Ind.
Annual Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast — 7-9:30 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg City Building, 100 S. Main St.
Memorial Day service — 10 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg War Memorial Park. The Fountain County War Museum will be open for tours.
The American Legion Post 263 will host a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. EDT Monday at the post. The Ladies Auxiliary will have finger foods available after the ceremony.
American Legion Post 203 will conduct a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. at the Veterans Monument.
- Local News
- Police, Fire Reports
- Donate tennis shoes Sunday
Tilton board approves new TIF district
Village trustees took the first step Thursday toward enticing more economic development in the village by approving an agreement with Moran Economic Development of Edwardsville to create a second tax increment funding district.
New program to help Hoopeston Area students
Karla Coon, the director of Danville Area Community College's Hoopeston site, and high school principal Larry Maynard presented a new idea to the Hoopeston School Board at Thursday's meeting.
- Man to face trial on battery charges DANVILLE — A local man will be held over for trial in connection with allegations he severely abused an infant last month.Benjamin K. Smith, 25, of Oakwood, appeared in Vermilion County Circuit Court for an afternoon preliminary hearing on charges of
- Police Report Incidents reported to police include:DanvilleWednesdayA man arrested for disorderly conduct in the 1200 block of North Walnut Street.A man arrested for reckless driving in the 600 block of East Williams Street.Disorderly conduct in the 100 block of R
- Police step up traffic patrols around schools DANVILLE — Police are taking over the role of teachers beginning this week, using enforcement to remind drivers about the traffic laws around schools.It’s been almost three months since local students made the trek to school. With Danville District 1
- Fire Calls Firefighters responded to the following calls:Tuesday, 10:49-11 a.m. — A medical call in the 600 block of Plum Street.Tuesday, 1:55-3:02 p.m. — A gas leak reported at 2606 N. Vermilion St.Tuesday, 2:15-2:20 p.m. — A private alarm at the Village Mall,
- Police, Fire Reports
Bomb scare empties city block
DANVILLE — Emergency personnel shut down a city block and evacuated several businesses following a suspicious package found along North Walnut Street.Danville police were contacted a little after 11:30 a.m. Wednesday after a black suitcase was discov
- More Local News Headlines