A service sponsored by the Joint Veterans Council will start at 11 a.m. Monday at the Danville National Cemetery. The Marine League is in charge of this year’s cemetery.
The keynote address will be given by U.S. Rep. John Shimkus, District 15, who also is a retired lieutenant colonel with the Army Reserve. He will be introduced by Robert Fox, past commander of American Legion Post 210.
Then, several groups will place wreaths, including: American Gold Star Mothers, Korean War veterans, Marine Corps League, American Legion Post 210 and auxiliary, American Legion District 18 auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 728 and auxiliary, women’s Ex-POW Illiana Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and War Dads Auxiliary 61.
A Memorial Day Mass open to the community will take place at 10 a.m. Monday at Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, 818 Wendt.
The Kennekuk Road Runners will have their 29th annual Memorial Day Run & Walk on Monday at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System, 1900 E. Main St. Race day registration is from 7:30-8:30 a.m. The race will begin at 9 a.m. Once participants enter the campus, there will be signs to direct them.
Kennekuk Road Runners will donate all proceeds from the event to the VA for veterans. Usually about 250-300 runners/walkers participate.
The Charles Forrest American Legion Post 288 will hold the following events:
Memorial Day service — 11 a.m. EDT today at Rose Hill Cemetery, Hillsboro, Ind.
Annual Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast — 7-9:30 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg City Building, 100 S. Main St.
Memorial Day service — 10 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg War Memorial Park. The Fountain County War Museum will be open for tours.
The American Legion Post 263 will host a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. EDT Monday at the post. The Ladies Auxiliary will have finger foods available after the ceremony.
American Legion Post 203 will conduct a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. at the Veterans Monument.
- Local News
- Former Kentucky man not guilty DANVILLE - Vermilion County Circuit Court jurors returned a not guilty verdict Thursday in the attempted murder case against a former Kentucky man. The case against Jason Irwin, 42, was turned over to the panel of jurors for deliberation late Thursd
- Police seek attempted robbery information DANVILLE -- Police seek information about an attempted robbery and battery Wednesday night at a car wash on North Vermilion Street. About 6:50 p.m. Wednesday, an attempted robbery occurred at Quick Wash, 3543 N. Vermilion St. The suspect approached a
- Fire Calls Firefighters responded to the following calls: Wednesday, 3:10-4:18 p.m. -- Smoke in building in the unit block of North Vermilion Street. Wednesday, 7:49-7:58 p.m. -- Natural gas smell in the 1110 block of North Griffin Street.
- Police Report Incidents reported to police include: Danville Tuesday: Theft of a handgun and $200 taken in the 1100 block of Saratoga Street. Forgery in the 200 block of Stroup Street Wednesday: Criminal damage in the unit block of South State Street. Burglary in
- J&R tires of city dealings DANVILLE - J&R Used Tire Service owner Rodney Rogers expressed his frustration Thursday with city officials to the Commercial-News and says he now isn't planning to move any of his tire business to Vermilion Heights. "We plan on expanding our operati
- Closed for months Drivers who normally go through the intersection of Bowman Avenue and Fairchild Street will have to use the detour route of Griffin and other streets for the next couple of months starting Monday. Message boards already are up warning motorists of th
- Center sponsors weekly events
- Laura Lee celebrates 70 years
- Police Report Incidents reported to police include: Danville Monday: Deceptive practice reported in the 500 block of West Fairchild Street. Theft in the 400 block of East South Street. Theft in the first block of North Oregon Avenue. Wednesday: Trespassing in the
- Aldermen await business agreement DANVILLE - All that is known about development planned along North Vermilion Street, this time south of Poland Road and the Danville Bell Credit Union, is that the first phase involves a restaurant and the second could be a combination of users. "I'v
- More Local News Headlines