A service sponsored by the Joint Veterans Council will start at 11 a.m. Monday at the Danville National Cemetery. The Marine League is in charge of this year’s cemetery.
The keynote address will be given by U.S. Rep. John Shimkus, District 15, who also is a retired lieutenant colonel with the Army Reserve. He will be introduced by Robert Fox, past commander of American Legion Post 210.
Then, several groups will place wreaths, including: American Gold Star Mothers, Korean War veterans, Marine Corps League, American Legion Post 210 and auxiliary, American Legion District 18 auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 728 and auxiliary, women’s Ex-POW Illiana Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and War Dads Auxiliary 61.
A Memorial Day Mass open to the community will take place at 10 a.m. Monday at Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, 818 Wendt.
The Kennekuk Road Runners will have their 29th annual Memorial Day Run & Walk on Monday at the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System, 1900 E. Main St. Race day registration is from 7:30-8:30 a.m. The race will begin at 9 a.m. Once participants enter the campus, there will be signs to direct them.
Kennekuk Road Runners will donate all proceeds from the event to the VA for veterans. Usually about 250-300 runners/walkers participate.
The Charles Forrest American Legion Post 288 will hold the following events:
Memorial Day service — 11 a.m. EDT today at Rose Hill Cemetery, Hillsboro, Ind.
Annual Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast — 7-9:30 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg City Building, 100 S. Main St.
Memorial Day service — 10 a.m. EDT Monday at the Veedersburg War Memorial Park. The Fountain County War Museum will be open for tours.
The American Legion Post 263 will host a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. EDT Monday at the post. The Ladies Auxiliary will have finger foods available after the ceremony.
American Legion Post 203 will conduct a Memorial Day service at 11 a.m. at the Veterans Monument.
- Local News
- Night of Strings tonight
- Egg hunt set for Carver Park
- County to improve portion of Perrysville Road DANVILLE -- Perrysville Road will be the focus of roadwork by Vermilion County Highway Department crews this year. The Vermilion County Board approved a resolution this week to fund the county's portion of the project, which will stretch southeast fr
- Job fair proves popular DANVILLE -- Lorie Ricksy of Danville was all smiles as she was asked to fill out yet another job application Wednesday morning at Danville Area Community College's Career Connections Job Fair. "It's been awesome," she said as she stopped at the emplo
- Public housing flat rate rents see changes DANVILLE -- Public housing residents who pay flat rate rents will see increased rents this year. A letter sent to residents last month was in the agenda packet for today's DHA board of commissioners meeting at 4 p.m. at Churchill Towers' community ro
- Police Reports Incidents reported to police include: Danville Monday: Property damage at Clover Signs, 806 E. Main St. Property damage in the first block of Park Avenue. Burglary in the 2500 block of East Williams Street. Domestic battery in the 1100 block of North
- Fire Calls Firefighters responded to the following calls: Monday, 11:34-11:40 a.m. -- A medical call in the 700 block of Wayne Street. Monday, 11:37-11:56 a.m. -- A medical call in the 1200 block of Chandler Street. Monday, 5:07-5:15 p.m. -- A medical call in t
- Run to benefit camp
- Digital checkout limit increased
- Police, Fire Reports
- More Local News Headlines