The Commercial-News, Danville, IL

February 7, 2013

Coroner identifies shooting victim

Dunbar dies of 1 wound


DANVILLE — The young man killed in an late Tuesday night shooting was just more than a week from his next birthday.

Vermilion County Coroner Peggy Johnson released the name of the shooting victim Thursday afternoon, identifying him as 24-year-old Deandre R. Dunbar.

Police, responding to a report of gunshots at the Fair Oaks Housing Complex, found the shooting victim on the ground just after 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 900 block of Lewis Lane. He was taken to Provena Unites Samaritans Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy performed Thursday showed Dunbar died of a single gunshot wound.

Dunbar, who lived along Redden Court, would have turned 25 on Feb. 12.

A police statement issued regarding the shooting indicated that several people may have been involved in an unknown confrontation that resulted in shots being fired. Early witness information in the case has been described by police as “sketchy.”

The shooting is the first homicide of the year in Danville. It is the fourth shooting incident in the city since the beginning of the year. The three others — on Jan. 17, Jan. 19 and Jan. 26 — resulted in non-life threatening injuries for the victims.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Danville police or Crime Stoppers at 446-TIPS (8477).

Court appearance

Also Thursday, the suspect charged in connection with two non-fatal shootings in December and January appeared in court.

Antwanne Hall, 18, is accused in a Dec. 20 shooting of a Danville man in the 900 block of Redden Court and the Jan. 17 shooting of a Danville man in the 900 block of Moore Street.

Danville Police Detective Phil Wilson testified Thursday the December victim told police he was walking along Redden Court when he was approached by Hall. According to the victim, Hall said the man “needed to get out of Fair Oaks.”

After ordering the victim to empty his pockets, Hall fired on him, striking him in the upper right leg.

Officer Ralph Dunham testified regarding the January shooting. The victim in that incident said he was driving in the 900 block of Moore Street when a passenger yelled for him to look out. Dunham said the victim looked to his left and saw Hall firing at him. The man was struck once in the back of the arm.

Hall pleaded not guilty during Thursday’s proceedings and requested a jury trial. His next hearing is set for March.

Hall faces a total of four counts of aggravated battery as well as charges of armed robbery and aggravated discharge of a firearm.

Hall remains in custody in the Public Safety Building jail with bond set at a total of $350,000 for the two cases.