6. Women, get over yourselves. You ain’t June Cleaver, so mow the grass sometimes.
7. Dismiss his/her faults as being simply human; forgive any and all harsh words spoken anytime after 9 p.m., then, when you are done with that, forgive all the harsh words spoken before 9 p.m.
8. When your partner comes home with job frustrations, keep your mouth shut and listen. He/she is not venting to hear you compare your crappy work environment to hers/his.
9. Imagine that your partner is about to leave the house and become involved in a fatal accident. Imagine that this is the last time you will see him/her alive. I guarantee that if you do this, all tensions, all anger, all disappointments will dissolve.
10. Love your partner as if there will never be another, because there will, indeed, never be another.
This is how you stay married to your best girlfriend for 40 years.
Danville native Kevin Cullen is a former Commercial-News reporter. Reach him at email@example.com.