BY BRIAN L. HUCHEL
An elderly man was the victim of a fatal apartment fire Friday morning.
Vermilion County Coroner Peggy Johnson identified the fire victim late Friday evening as 84-year-old Alan K. Junkert, a resident of Wolford Apartments where the fire occurred.
Police and firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the apartment building, 9 E. Harrison St., around 6:15 a.m. Friday. The fire was confined to an apartment on the seventh floor where Junkert lived.
Johnson indicated Junkert was pronounced dead at the scene in his apartment just before 6:40 a.m. Friday.
An autopsy — which was performed Friday afternoon — indicated both burns and smoke inhalation are considered causes of death, according to Johnson. Toxicology tests will determine the how much carbon monoxide Junkert had in his system as a result of smoke inhalation.
Danville Director of Public Safety Larry Thomason said Friday afternoon that a chair in the apartment was found to be the source of the fire.
He indicated the fatality is being considered a fire investigation at this point and not a suspicious death.
The fire was quickly brought under control by firefighters. No other injuries were reported at the fire and evacuated residents were allowed to return to their apartments almost two hours after the fire alarms were reported.
Damages from fire, smoke and water were estimated at around $50,000.