DANVILLE — Today is another rough day for the family of Charles and Naomi Cox, who lost their young daughter in a Danville house fire during the weekend.
“It doesn’t seem right to be planning a funeral for a 3-year-old,” said Joseph Cox, Charles’ brother.
City firefighters responded around 11:30 p.m. Saturday to the fire in a two-story wooden-frame home at 1208 N. Franklin St. Firefighters arriving on scene found flames throughout the first floor of the home.
A 3-year-old girl was unable to escape the home and died inside. Vermilion County Coroner Peggy Johnson released the girl’s name Monday morning, identifying her as Mazzie Breanne Cox.
Cox, as spokesman for the family, said his brother and sister-in-law are “under a lot of heavy hearts and heartache right now.”
“It’s a tough tragedy that happened Saturday,” he said Monday evening.
On Saturday, Cox said his brother had dropped off his wife and their twin daughters, Narissa and Mazzie, at the home along with two other adults. Naomi was finishing a bath when she smelled smoke. She headed for the stairs for the first floor.
“By the time she got there, the whole bottom of the house was in flames,” Cox said.
The two adults were downstairs with the twin sisters at the time of the fire. Cox said they grabbed Narissa but couldn’t find Mazzie as a result of the smoke and flames. By the time they got out, Cox said the flames were too intense to re-enter the home. Naomi was forced to break out a second-story window to escape.
Cox said she collapsed in the street upon hearing Mazzie had not made it out.
Johnson said the 3-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. Preliminary autopsy results indicate the child died from smoke inhalation and burns.