COVINGTON, Ind. —
Fountain County Commissioners decided Monday to wait at least two more weeks before proceeding with work on replacing Bridge No. 97 northwest of Mellott on County Road 800.
Commissioners questioned whether there is enough traffic on that road to warrant replacing the bridge.
“We have had so (many) negative comments on that bridge,” commissioner Terry Ellingwood said. “They say once the mailman goes by, the rush is over.”
The county has spent about $100,000 in preliminary work on the bridge, and has been awarded a grant for partial funds to replace it.
In other business, commissioners:
- Will meet with state officials at 10 a.m. EDT April 9 at the Fountain County Med Shed to discuss not having an extra lane on County Route 50 exiting on to U.S. Route 41 and the washing out of the hillside at the new facility.
- Approved the first reading of a new fee schedule for ambulance runs. Among the changes will include a per mile increase from $12.50 to $15. It must be advertised twice and then final action taken.
- Heard the National Weather Service will conduct a weather spotters meeting at 7 p.m. April 11 at the County Med Shed at Veedersburg.
- Learned the new Fountain County Med-Shed building east of U.S. Route 41 will have an open house from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 20 in conjunction with a Bloodmobile visit there.
- Gave a group of volunteers headed by Linda McGurk permission to pick up trash on the Portland Arch Road at 3 p.m. April 21. The county will provide the trash bags.
Council hears 911 plans
Fountain County Council members heard preliminary plans Monday to move the 911 call center from the Attica Municipal Building to the Fountain County Courthouse.
Commissioner Don Hesler told councilmen Attica wants the 911 center out of the Attica building by the end of the year. He said several sites in Fountain and Warren counties have been looked at, and the best site seems to be using a portion of the community room in the courthouse. He said less than half of the room would be used.
“It is a good, secure place,” Hesler said.
Warren County will pay a third of the costs.
In other business, councilmen:
- Appointed Tom Booe as a trustee of the Fountain County Employee Benefit Trust.
- Will meet in mid-May with the date to be announced.
Fountain County Commissioners will meet at 6:30 p.m. EDT April 15 at the courthouse.