There’s even a story that Al Capone would get his bootleg liquor at the old opera house. Capone talked to Harold Cain, a copper worker on the second floor, about making stills in the basement. Then Capone would load up the liquor in the alley before heading back to Chicago.
During the next 83 years, the first floor had been used for many businesses: Ford and a Buick Dealership, a car repair shop, a welding shop, auction house, a poultry store and several other shops.
In 1931, when it was turned into a Ford dealership, workers poured concrete over the wooden floor to be able to park cars inside. Around 1998 the floor collapsed into the basement and the owners filled it in with gravel.
The Masons used the third floor until 1947 when, for financial reasons, they moved to a new location. The third floor was never used for much after that other than for storage. In 2010, Indiana Ghost Trackers was invited to do a ghost hunt, and collected several recordings and pictures. In October 2010, Triska, former director of Indiana Ghost Trackers, opened the building for ghost hunts and an antique shop.
Triska, who’s retired from Caterpillar, wishes his parents could see him now. With a smile, he would say to them, “Remember when you said there was no such thing as ghosts? There was nothing in the closet or under the bed?”
When he was working in Frankfort, Ind., about 10 years ago, he saw an apparition next to a newspaper delivery box, and that got him interested in ghost hunting — especially after learning from others that the area he had been in is haunted.
Triska, who used to come antique hunting with his parents as a child, loves Rossville, which he described as a lot like Mayberry from “The Andy Griffith Show.”
He’s living in Lafayette until he can get the second floor renovated, but when he’s away for any length of time, he misses the town.