More white people voted for President Obama than people of color. Percentage-wise, only 39 percent but in numbers that 39 percent was larger than the 97 percent of blacks, 70-plus percent of Latinos and the 65-plus percent of Asians.
Our founding fathers recognized our nation would need a means to adjust to the changing times in the future, therefore, they established the Constitution, a document that allows our citizens to make needed changes through our elected representatives and our Supreme Court.
During elections, our two-party system presents arguments and the people decide by their vote. This system is messy, sometimes insulting, but necessary. When all is said and done, we count the votes. For the most part, our officials join together and govern.
As a black man, I would like all wrongs to be changed immediately but, I too, know that that is not how it works.
I look at the number of sacrifices large numbers of white people have done to keep this nation whole:
n Working to correct the wrongs perpetrated on the native people found on this land when this country was established.
n The elimination of slavery through a brutal Civil War and the death of large numbers of citizens on both sides.
n Establishing civil rights for all citizens.
n Establishing affirmative action to help people of color to level the playing field.
I just want to acknowledge that we, as a nation, always get it right in the end. I love this nation.
Nate Cunningham Sr.
- Letters to the Editor
- Looking forward to bright futures Editor:For the past few weeks I read the great accomplishments of valedictorians from Paxton, Danville, Urbana and Champaign.As a retired science teacher and businessman, I am proud of their achievements and the parents and teachers who contributed t
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines