With Christmas coming, people often forget about the animals in animal shelters. The cats and dogs would appreciate gifts, too.
CARA — Citizens for Animal Rescue and Adoption — is a no-kill animal shelter in Tilton that would gladly accept any donations. Something CARA needs is bedding. They always run short of bedding, even with the washer and dryer running nonstop. If there isn’t enough bedding, then a cat might have to sleep on their cold cage bottom. They don’t need fancy “cat beds.” Towels and old blankets make great bedding for cats.
Some other things CARA could use are cat toys, and brushes and combs for dogs and cats. They have plenty of dog toys, but hardly any for cats. Scratch pads, scratching posts, and cat tubes are all things cats love. They also need paper towels to make cleaning cages easier.
CARA needs bowls, food, boxes and non-clumping cat litter donations. Boxes are used for litter boxes and bed boxes that the cats love to sleep in. The cats and dogs need bowls for their food and water. CARA uses non-clumping cat litter, which is expensive because of all their cats. But most important, the animals need food. Some cats require special diets or special cat litter.
Even if you don’t have the time to go through your things or buy things for CARA you could donate money. While you’re at it, look around at the dogs and cats and bring home a new friend.
- Letters to the Editor
- Help homeless veterans Editor: I recently read an article about homeless veterans. I remember when Danville Area Community College and Department of Veterans Affairs' campuses was a soldiers' home. There were no homeless veterans then. The veterans who lived there mowed th
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts "to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines