I am amazed how many movie stars support our president. They support his policies, but don’t they realize the reason they are so rich is because people having money to go to their movies makes them rich? It is called capitalism.
There is nothing wrong with making money if it is done through hard work and wise investing. What is wrong is when people cheat, lie and steal. It’s not making money that is evil. It’s the love of money that’s evil.
All this government control, either by city or federal, about drinking 16 ounces of pop is nonsense. I don’t see anyone telling beer drinkers they can only have one beer. When I went to school from 1939-1951, I never saw a pop machine in our schools. The only pop I saw was when I was in high school and we sold pop at concession stands for our senior trip — and it was kept under lock and key until game time.
I know obesity is high in children, and I feel bad, but I don’t feel government should be dictating how much pop a person can drink. I say if the schools want this stopped, just don’t let the companies put machines in the schools.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried to stop drinking bottled water — after all, those plastic bottles do fill landfills.
Use common sense and let people have control over their eating. We don’t need government in everything!
- Letters to the Editor
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts "to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its
- Obamacare rollout is a premature fiasco Obamacare rollout a fiasco Editor: Let's not be fooled by flacks pushing lame excuses and shifting blame for the fiasco that hit America Oct. 1, the Obamacare rollout. The fault isn't information technology contractors or whatever. It's the whole big
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines