I am amazed how many movie stars support our president. They support his policies, but don’t they realize the reason they are so rich is because people having money to go to their movies makes them rich? It is called capitalism.
There is nothing wrong with making money if it is done through hard work and wise investing. What is wrong is when people cheat, lie and steal. It’s not making money that is evil. It’s the love of money that’s evil.
All this government control, either by city or federal, about drinking 16 ounces of pop is nonsense. I don’t see anyone telling beer drinkers they can only have one beer. When I went to school from 1939-1951, I never saw a pop machine in our schools. The only pop I saw was when I was in high school and we sold pop at concession stands for our senior trip — and it was kept under lock and key until game time.
I know obesity is high in children, and I feel bad, but I don’t feel government should be dictating how much pop a person can drink. I say if the schools want this stopped, just don’t let the companies put machines in the schools.
I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried to stop drinking bottled water — after all, those plastic bottles do fill landfills.
Use common sense and let people have control over their eating. We don’t need government in everything!
- Letters to the Editor
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Use Lincoln's inspiration Editor:Usually July 4, our country’s birthday, is ushered in with parades, flags and pride.However, with news of a war we never won, loss of respect by our allies, a president whose trust among our people is gradually fading and who is depleting our
- Failing to recognize limits Editor:The June 27, Commercial-News contained three articles, among others, that prompt this note to the entire community.The first article, Page 3A: “Danville’s unemployment rate tops state rankings.”The second article, Page 4A: “Illinois cities dea
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines