There are thousands of unwanted, neglected animals in Vermillion County alone, so why add to the animal population when you can help stop the growth in it?
Female cats can have three to four litters of kittens a year. Each litter averages two to five kittens, but they can have more than 10 in a litter. Male and female cats can mate by the time they are 5 or 6 months old.
I have worked at C.A.R.A. — Citizens for Animal Rescue and Adoption — a no-kill animal shelter, for more than a year. Both C.A.R.A. and the Vermillion County Animal shelter have low-cost spay/ neuter programs
Neutered males fight less than unneutered males, and they have less of a chance of catching FIV and Feline Leukemia. Spaying a female can expand their life expectancy and reduce their risk of catching FIV, also.
Some people don’t want to get their pet spayed or neutered because they are afraid of the pain or risk of surgery. There is a slight risk to any surgery, but vets spay and neuter pets all the time with little to no complications.
Some cats spray urine in their house to mark their territory or attract a mate. Spaying and neutering your cat young will stop that. I have known several cats that sprayed until they were spayed or neutered, then they stopped.
If you are going to get a pet, be responsible and get them spayed or neutered as soon as you can.
- Letters to the Editor
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts "to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its
- Obamacare rollout is a premature fiasco Obamacare rollout a fiasco Editor: Let's not be fooled by flacks pushing lame excuses and shifting blame for the fiasco that hit America Oct. 1, the Obamacare rollout. The fault isn't information technology contractors or whatever. It's the whole big
- North Vermilion traffic a mess North Vermilion traffic a mess Editor: I live on Sonny Lane, which is a street on the east side of Vermilion Street and is between the traffic lights at Boiling Springs Road and the traffic light at Walmart. I am very happy to have Kohl's and Meijer
- Competition will lower prices Competition will lower prices Editor: Just like Robin Hood in the days of old when knights were bold, Ruler Foods and Meijer come to the rescue of the Danville area. Fear not, good citizens of the Illiana area, you will no longer be ripped off at the
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines