There are thousands of unwanted, neglected animals in Vermillion County alone, so why add to the animal population when you can help stop the growth in it?
Female cats can have three to four litters of kittens a year. Each litter averages two to five kittens, but they can have more than 10 in a litter. Male and female cats can mate by the time they are 5 or 6 months old.
I have worked at C.A.R.A. — Citizens for Animal Rescue and Adoption — a no-kill animal shelter, for more than a year. Both C.A.R.A. and the Vermillion County Animal shelter have low-cost spay/ neuter programs
Neutered males fight less than unneutered males, and they have less of a chance of catching FIV and Feline Leukemia. Spaying a female can expand their life expectancy and reduce their risk of catching FIV, also.
Some people don’t want to get their pet spayed or neutered because they are afraid of the pain or risk of surgery. There is a slight risk to any surgery, but vets spay and neuter pets all the time with little to no complications.
Some cats spray urine in their house to mark their territory or attract a mate. Spaying and neutering your cat young will stop that. I have known several cats that sprayed until they were spayed or neutered, then they stopped.
If you are going to get a pet, be responsible and get them spayed or neutered as soon as you can.
- Letters to the Editor
- Dress code helps students focus Why is there so much fuss over uniforms in school?
- Support Wall on March 18 Editor: On Dec. 14 my friend and her father were on the hunt for a cat/kitten as a Christmas gift for her mother.
- Vote for Wall for judge Vote for Wall for judge Editor: I think Vermilion County voters should know there is truly only one qualified candidate for the position of circuit judge. Her name is Judge Karen Wall. She has received the highest rating of all candidates in an Illin
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines