Danville, along with most other cities in Illinois, has faced serious economic issues as a result of the recession. Cities in Illinois also have dealt with the uncertainty around the financial crisis at the state level.
Danville, however, has weathered the financial storm far better than most communities. The city had a budget surplus last fiscal year and it is anticipating a larger surplus this year. With the ongoing retail expansion, the future looks bright.
Ward 7 Alderman Steve Foster has had a large role in the city’s financial success. Steve has been a leader in holding down property taxes and has opposed increases in taxes. He asks tough questions of the administration and demands all city departments do everything possible to hold down costs.
While Steve has been an opponent of tax increases, he has supported a progressive approach to attracting new business. Steve understands the best way to balance the budget is to expand the economic base, not raise taxes.
Steve has been responsive to his constituents and has been vocal in presenting the Ward 7 perspective to the city council. Steve also considers the needs of the city as a whole when voting.
I have never publicly endorsed a candidate for alderman, but in this case I know Steve Foster is the right person to continue to serve not only the citizens of Ward 7 but all of the citizens of Danville. I enthusiastically endorse him for re-election and urge the voters of Ward 7 to return Steve to the city council.
Alderman Ward 6
- Letters to the Editor
- Dress code helps students focus Why is there so much fuss over uniforms in school?
- Support Wall on March 18 Editor: On Dec. 14 my friend and her father were on the hunt for a cat/kitten as a Christmas gift for her mother.
- Vote for Wall for judge Vote for Wall for judge Editor: I think Vermilion County voters should know there is truly only one qualified candidate for the position of circuit judge. Her name is Judge Karen Wall. She has received the highest rating of all candidates in an Illin
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines