COVINGTON, Ind. —
Joe Donnelly of Indiana is demonstrating all that is bad about politics.
First, as a congressman, he votes the party-line for Obamacare without even knowing the contents of the bill.
Now, as a senator, he makes fruitless noise to have Obamacare taxes on Indiana produced-medical equipment repealed; of course, to protect his state-wide electability.
Associated Press reports Terre Haute, Ind., has less than $41,000 in reserves and is borrowing to pay its bills. Too bad they cannot reclaim the $6.1 million that is the annual Terre Haute share of the $30 billion budget of the Department of Energy.
What has Terre Haute gained from the 120,000 direct or contracted employees of the DOE? Well, in 2011, they did receive a $700,000 grant for traffic lights.
After 25 years, has the DOE found ways to make drilling and transporting oil safer?
Lowered the cost of electricity, heat or gasoline? And, at an average annual cost of $266 per household, what is the DOE costing your community?
Only when we return government to its basic function of protection of life, liberty and private property will we end the disgusting practices of politicians and needless government agencies.
COVINGTON, Ind. —
- Letters to the Editor
- We need an explanation Editor:In a prior letter I mistakenly said that in the last 30 years (correctly 20 years) health costs have grown only 0.8 percent, year over year, compared to 1.0 percent average since Obamacare became law: Obamacare effects are simply part of a lon
- No Headline Provided Money isn’t everythingEditor:Billionaire Bruce Rauner wants to be our governor here in Illinois. To me that would be like a millionaire running to be the mayor of Danville. He feels like his money is the only qualification that he needs.Here is a man
- No Headline Provided Keep pot out of townEditor:I was confused by the article in a recent Commercial-News about medical cannabis. It first states that strong support for this by local law enforcement. Then a little further down it states that Public Safety Director Larry
- Upset at discarded decorations Editor:I don’t know what is going on down at Georgetown Cemetery, but I find it pretty appalling. For the second year in a row, the arrangement that was placed on my grandparents’ grave has been stolen.Then on July 25, I go out to the cemetery to my
- No Headline Provided Help Make-A-WishEditor:It’s wonderful to make a child’s wish come true. As volunteer wish granters for Make-A-Wish Illinois, we have opportunities to do just that for children with life-threatening illnesses. The children we serve are between the age
- Cruelty to dog inexcusable Cruelty to dog inexcusableEditor:To the low-life who took a beautiful, young, blue and white pit bull-boxer mix, put her in a box, taped it shut and left her to die, I hope karma becomes your best friend.Some low-life did this during the weekend of J
- Hearts & darts Here are a few of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• The family of Teresa Denhart Ramey of Crawfordsville, Ind., — Bob, Rachel and Kendal Ramey; Bob and Mary Elaine Denhart; Betty Smith; and Allen and Julia Denhart and family
- End the excuses End the excusesEditor:Due to our real estate tax bills being late again, parents have to enroll their children in school while trying to pay that bill. According to the news, the cost of school supplies is up this year. So which is to be paid first?O
- Beware of political speak Beware of political speakEditor:When a politician says that his or her policy is working, I want to know, “What is the policy?” and, “What is the cause and effect reasoning leading to a conclusion that the policy is working?” Of course, I never get a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines