We humans know we were put here on Earth for a reason. We were given brains to think for ourselves and to make choices. For animals, it’s not quite the same. The animals I want to talk about today are the unfortunate animals in our animal shelter. I went to the city council meeting Sept. 25. After listening and even after getting to speak, I came away with the feeling nothing would change in the treatment of the animals taken to our Humane Society.
If there is a benefit of merging the Humane Society and the Vermilion County Animal Shelter, then so be it. By benefit, I mean humane care of each and every animal.
Another concern I have is that many people don't think it through very well when adopting or buying a pet. Some have a twisted idea of what the word "care" actually means. They leave their pets chained outside and others take their pets with them in the car and leave them while they run errands in very hot temperatures. Just feeding your pet is not giving them good care. They need love and attention.
I would like to urge anyone who is are not able to keep their pet to please ask neighbors, friends or relatives if they would be able to take the animal. Use the animal shelter or our “humane” society as an absolute last resort. There is another group of kind individuals who take in animals, called the C.A.R.A. project. They do not euthanize animals. I urge you to please, try these things first.
- Letters to the Editor
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Use Lincoln's inspiration Editor:Usually July 4, our country’s birthday, is ushered in with parades, flags and pride.However, with news of a war we never won, loss of respect by our allies, a president whose trust among our people is gradually fading and who is depleting our
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines