Ten reasons to oppose marriage equality:
1. Being gay is not natural. Americans always oppose things that aren’t natural like eyeglasses and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to other illegal behavior. People might even wish to marry their pets because a dog can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites; and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriages are allowed. The sanctity of marriages like Brittany Spears’ would be destroyed.
6. The only valid marriages are those that produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet and we need more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children since straight couples raise only straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the country. That’s why we have only one religion.
9. Children can never succeed without both a male and female role model at home. That’s why we, as a society, expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we’ve never adapted to longer life spans.
- Letters to the Editor
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts "to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its
- Obamacare rollout is a premature fiasco Obamacare rollout a fiasco Editor: Let's not be fooled by flacks pushing lame excuses and shifting blame for the fiasco that hit America Oct. 1, the Obamacare rollout. The fault isn't information technology contractors or whatever. It's the whole big
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines