Ten reasons to oppose marriage equality:
1. Being gay is not natural. Americans always oppose things that aren’t natural like eyeglasses and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to other illegal behavior. People might even wish to marry their pets because a dog can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites; and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriages are allowed. The sanctity of marriages like Brittany Spears’ would be destroyed.
6. The only valid marriages are those that produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet and we need more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children since straight couples raise only straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the country. That’s why we have only one religion.
9. Children can never succeed without both a male and female role model at home. That’s why we, as a society, expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we’ve never adapted to longer life spans.
- Letters to the Editor
- Parking woes at civic center Editor:I enjoy going to the David S. Palmer Civic Center and really enjoy the Dashers games and I’m looking forward to the Riverhawks basketball team.Last fall, the city removed the three handicapped parking spaces on the south side of the center. I
- Looking forward to bright futures Editor:For the past few weeks I read the great accomplishments of valedictorians from Paxton, Danville, Urbana and Champaign.As a retired science teacher and businessman, I am proud of their achievements and the parents and teachers who contributed t
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines