Ten reasons to oppose marriage equality:
1. Being gay is not natural. Americans always oppose things that aren’t natural like eyeglasses and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to other illegal behavior. People might even wish to marry their pets because a dog can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites; and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriages are allowed. The sanctity of marriages like Brittany Spears’ would be destroyed.
6. The only valid marriages are those that produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet and we need more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children since straight couples raise only straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the country. That’s why we have only one religion.
9. Children can never succeed without both a male and female role model at home. That’s why we, as a society, expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we’ve never adapted to longer life spans.
- Letters to the Editor
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Use Lincoln's inspiration Editor:Usually July 4, our country’s birthday, is ushered in with parades, flags and pride.However, with news of a war we never won, loss of respect by our allies, a president whose trust among our people is gradually fading and who is depleting our
- Failing to recognize limits Editor:The June 27, Commercial-News contained three articles, among others, that prompt this note to the entire community.The first article, Page 3A: “Danville’s unemployment rate tops state rankings.”The second article, Page 4A: “Illinois cities dea
- Help fight human trafficking Editor:On June 20, Secretary of State John Kerry released the 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report, which ranks 188 countries on their efforts to combat human trafficking, including the United States.Human trafficking is modern day slavery and it occur
- We appreciate so little Editor:When I read a recent editorial on maintaining the parks, I just had to write.Years ago, we held our annual reunion at Douglas Park every year. It was a wonderful park when we first started meeting there and back in the late ‘50s they still had
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines