Ten reasons to oppose marriage equality:
1. Being gay is not natural. Americans always oppose things that aren’t natural like eyeglasses and air conditioning.
2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to other illegal behavior. People might even wish to marry their pets because a dog can sign a marriage contract.
4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites; and divorce is still illegal.
5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriages are allowed. The sanctity of marriages like Brittany Spears’ would be destroyed.
6. The only valid marriages are those that produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet and we need more children.
7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children since straight couples raise only straight children.
8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the country. That’s why we have only one religion.
9. Children can never succeed without both a male and female role model at home. That’s why we, as a society, expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we’ve never adapted to longer life spans.
- Letters to the Editor
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Gambling won't help city Gambling won't help city Editor: Why, if the national average for a city our size is 34 firefighters, do we have to have 51 when we can't afford them? I do not believe the average person realizes that $78 a year could be coming next year through the
- Try a different way to learn Try a different way to learn Editor: I was pleased to read the Freeport Journal Standard supported my view, that increasing the words spoken to poverty infants might eventually lift them from poverty. Finding ways to accomplish this is not the only c
- Support Dillard-Tracy ticket It seems that one Republican candidate for the nomination for governor in the March 18th primary election has spent millions of dollars on TV ads to try and buy his way to the nomination in November.
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines