We have many forums to express our opinions about numerous aspects of our community, state and country.
Personally, I choose to argue from known and widely accepted positions and understanding there are other understandings of the accepted positions. For example, in regard to theology, my position is that religion has no place in political policy. My position is, our accepted form of religious ideologies are not to be foisted upon others.
For example, citing biblical or other religious books has no bearing on another’s belief. I do not believe another’s behavior within our laws has any effect on my daily life.
I’ve been with my wife for almost 50 years and there has never been a negative effect upon us from other gay relationships.
Another wide gap between us “liberals” and my “conservative” opponents is this idea that Romney espoused about “the Takers.” Based on his philosophy, any welfare for the unfortunate, poor or any struggling group is bad unless it is the money paid in huge tax breaks to the affluent, large corporations and political projects.
If we added up the fraud in all branches of government, it still would not touch all the “taking” by the rich. There have been flawed studies that Republicans put forward to fortify their will to cut government, but it has proven to be the wrong approach by numerous European governments.
Locally, we have given numerous businesses tax breaks with the idea that it would stimulate jobs. It has not been successful in Vermillion County.
Nate Cunningham Sr.
- Letters to the Editor
- Dress code helps students focus Why is there so much fuss over uniforms in school?
- Support Wall on March 18 Editor: On Dec. 14 my friend and her father were on the hunt for a cat/kitten as a Christmas gift for her mother.
- Vote for Wall for judge Vote for Wall for judge Editor: I think Vermilion County voters should know there is truly only one qualified candidate for the position of circuit judge. Her name is Judge Karen Wall. She has received the highest rating of all candidates in an Illin
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines