We have many forums to express our opinions about numerous aspects of our community, state and country.
Personally, I choose to argue from known and widely accepted positions and understanding there are other understandings of the accepted positions. For example, in regard to theology, my position is that religion has no place in political policy. My position is, our accepted form of religious ideologies are not to be foisted upon others.
For example, citing biblical or other religious books has no bearing on another’s belief. I do not believe another’s behavior within our laws has any effect on my daily life.
I’ve been with my wife for almost 50 years and there has never been a negative effect upon us from other gay relationships.
Another wide gap between us “liberals” and my “conservative” opponents is this idea that Romney espoused about “the Takers.” Based on his philosophy, any welfare for the unfortunate, poor or any struggling group is bad unless it is the money paid in huge tax breaks to the affluent, large corporations and political projects.
If we added up the fraud in all branches of government, it still would not touch all the “taking” by the rich. There have been flawed studies that Republicans put forward to fortify their will to cut government, but it has proven to be the wrong approach by numerous European governments.
Locally, we have given numerous businesses tax breaks with the idea that it would stimulate jobs. It has not been successful in Vermillion County.
Nate Cunningham Sr.
- Letters to the Editor
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Gambling won't help city Gambling won't help city Editor: Why, if the national average for a city our size is 34 firefighters, do we have to have 51 when we can't afford them? I do not believe the average person realizes that $78 a year could be coming next year through the
- Try a different way to learn Try a different way to learn Editor: I was pleased to read the Freeport Journal Standard supported my view, that increasing the words spoken to poverty infants might eventually lift them from poverty. Finding ways to accomplish this is not the only c
- Support Dillard-Tracy ticket It seems that one Republican candidate for the nomination for governor in the March 18th primary election has spent millions of dollars on TV ads to try and buy his way to the nomination in November.
- Enough is enough Editor: Whatever happened to the pay as you go and pay for what you use form of a payment? The current Danville City Council has some members who do not listen to the voters who elected them. They can only listen to the cry of the money-hungry monste
- Use different marriage licenses Editor: Politicians need guidance. Give incumbent opponents a chance.
- Support locally owned businesses Support locally owned businesses Editor: Pet World has been in Danville as the local pet store for 37 years. We have seen the economy go up and down. We have always tried to stock the best products, and the best pets and fish that we could get. We al
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines