The Commercial-News, Danville, IL

November 23, 2013

Hearts & darts

The Commercial-News

---- — Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:

Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts “to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its original appearance.”

Barb Dudich of Westville sends hearts to WITY 980 Radio for on “broadcasting during the entire severe weather situation on Sunday. In Tuesday’s Commercial-News article, Danville Mayor Scott Eisenhauer said smart phones and Facebook were the best means to movie information.

“Many people do not have smart phones, so were unable to access the Internet with the power outage. WITY Radio, however, broadcast throughout the entire situation until around 2 a.m., helping to keep people updated on the weather and the status of the power outage. Battery-operated radios are easy to obtain and use during this type of situation. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to a smartphone and the service required to utilize it.

“Yes, people do listen to AM radio and WITY appreciates its listeners. They were instrumental in delivering information to those who were in need. Thank you, WITY, for your service to the community.”

Jack Malett of Danville sends hearts to Ameren Illinois. “Electricity. Most of us give little thought to it, until we receive the bill at the end of the month. We walk into a room, flip on the switch, turn on the television, etc. Very few of us realize the amount of work and planning that it takes to deliver that power to us.

“The storms of Nov. 17 apparently took out power over most of Vermilion County. I live in the Oaklawn neighborhood, and the last time this happened, we were without power for more than a week. That was in the summertime, so it was still more of an inconvenience than health threat. When our power went out Sunday at 12:55, we went to the basement, brought up our camp stove and battery lanterns, along with every blanket we own, and settled in for an extended period of roughing it, after hearing estimates that it could be as much as 2 weeks before power was restored.

“Imagine my surprise when I received a call about 10 p.m. from Amerin telling us that power would be restored about 11 p.m. Right on schedule, the lights came on. I would like to thank everyone involved in the restoration efforts for your dedicated service.”