When Vince Lombardi of Green Bay Packers fame said “to win is everything!” I think his statement did more harm than good!
Of course, any person, male or female, worth his or her salt wants to win, otherwise why put forth the effort. This is natural and nothing wrong with winning. It is normal.
For a long time, I haven’t enjoyed professional sports. It seems the old adage “follow the money” has crept into professional sports.
I was watching David Letterman one evening when Lance Armstrong had won one of his races and Robin Williams of Hollywood fame was so happy. He said, “Lance Armstrong! He’s my man,” and he about leaped over Letterman’s sofa! You would have thought he had won the race.
I am talking from hindsight, but just the same, it disgusts me that things have gotten so foul and out of hand.
In football, the game of “He-men” — I never could get interested in that sport. It just seems it’s a good way to get knee and brain damage. They call this sport?
Baseball has had its share of tainted players, and I actually like the Cubs.
My true favorite is watching little 5-year-olds in over-sized helmets play T-ball. Now there is true sport. I said this once and someone spoke up and said, “Yeah! But did you see how unsportsmanlike the parents were?” Well, at the game I was watching everyone was clapping and cheering one another on.
I’m not disgusted with sports, I’m disgusted with crooks and dishonesty.
- Letters to the Editor
- We need an explanation Editor:In a prior letter I mistakenly said that in the last 30 years (correctly 20 years) health costs have grown only 0.8 percent, year over year, compared to 1.0 percent average since Obamacare became law: Obamacare effects are simply part of a lon
- No Headline Provided Money isn’t everythingEditor:Billionaire Bruce Rauner wants to be our governor here in Illinois. To me that would be like a millionaire running to be the mayor of Danville. He feels like his money is the only qualification that he needs.Here is a man
- No Headline Provided Keep pot out of townEditor:I was confused by the article in a recent Commercial-News about medical cannabis. It first states that strong support for this by local law enforcement. Then a little further down it states that Public Safety Director Larry
- Upset at discarded decorations Editor:I don’t know what is going on down at Georgetown Cemetery, but I find it pretty appalling. For the second year in a row, the arrangement that was placed on my grandparents’ grave has been stolen.Then on July 25, I go out to the cemetery to my
- No Headline Provided Help Make-A-WishEditor:It’s wonderful to make a child’s wish come true. As volunteer wish granters for Make-A-Wish Illinois, we have opportunities to do just that for children with life-threatening illnesses. The children we serve are between the age
- Cruelty to dog inexcusable Cruelty to dog inexcusableEditor:To the low-life who took a beautiful, young, blue and white pit bull-boxer mix, put her in a box, taped it shut and left her to die, I hope karma becomes your best friend.Some low-life did this during the weekend of J
- Hearts & darts Here are a few of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• The family of Teresa Denhart Ramey of Crawfordsville, Ind., — Bob, Rachel and Kendal Ramey; Bob and Mary Elaine Denhart; Betty Smith; and Allen and Julia Denhart and family
- End the excuses End the excusesEditor:Due to our real estate tax bills being late again, parents have to enroll their children in school while trying to pay that bill. According to the news, the cost of school supplies is up this year. So which is to be paid first?O
- Beware of political speak Beware of political speakEditor:When a politician says that his or her policy is working, I want to know, “What is the policy?” and, “What is the cause and effect reasoning leading to a conclusion that the policy is working?” Of course, I never get a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines