Once again it does not pay to be in the majority. The Boy Scout leadership voted to allow the policy change allowing gay boys into the Scouts. Why did the leaders see fit to go against the majority? They have turned their backs on the boys who are now Scouts and were only looking out for their own selves.
Danville will take a big hit because of this. Most, if not all, of the troops here will no longer exist because the churches that chartered them will no longer do so because this policy goes against their doctrines.
The Supreme Court already sided with the Scouts in this matter, but gay rights groups bullied the corporate donors. The leaders and gay rights groups might have gotten their way, but at the same time, based on what the leaders have said, they expect to lose 400,000 members, most likely more.
The Champaign council held at least one meeting on this, but did not allow anyone to speak on the issue. So that tells me it was a done deal before the vote was held at the national level.
- Letters to the Editor
- Turn your world around Turn your world around This is an open invitation to all those people who are caught up in the mixed-up, less-than-perfect world we live in. This is to all of those who live with their minds set on all of the things they don't like, don't have and se
- Help homeless veterans Editor: I recently read an article about homeless veterans. I remember when Danville Area Community College and Department of Veterans Affairs' campuses was a soldiers' home. There were no homeless veterans then. The veterans who lived there mowed th
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines