How saddened I was when I opened the Commercial-News on Oct. 9 to the obituraries to see the name of a dear friend, Betty Carter Switzer. It brought back memories of when I first returned to the Danville area after having been gone 16 years. Being married to a state trooper, we were assigned to the Peoria district and left Danville in1959. We came back to the Danville area in 1974.
When it was class reunion time, Myra Mattius Doan stood in line at my ice cream shop in Tilton on a very hot evening. She waited her turn to ask for the addresses of my siblings, Katie Shahadey LaHood and Charlie Shahadey, so she could send them an invitation to the Danville High School Classes of 1939 to 1944, I believe, reunion.
It was then that I learned three lovely classmates had been having these reunions for some years. They were Barbara Dennis Cook, Myra Matthius Doan and Betty Carter Switzer. These great gals saw to it with hard work and devotion to keep that reunion going for many years until death and bad health caused the end of those wonderful times.
I believe our friend Barbara passed away first, then friend Myra. Betty kept the reunions going for five years after.
Now our friend Betty has passed away and with that beautiful memories of those three dedicated girls. I miss them very much. Thanks to Betty, Myra and Barbara for all they did to make so many of us remember our high school days and friends.
Bess Shahadey Thornsbraugh
- Letters to the Editor
- Dress code helps students focus Why is there so much fuss over uniforms in school?
- Support Wall on March 18 Editor: On Dec. 14 my friend and her father were on the hunt for a cat/kitten as a Christmas gift for her mother.
- Vote for Wall for judge Vote for Wall for judge Editor: I think Vermilion County voters should know there is truly only one qualified candidate for the position of circuit judge. Her name is Judge Karen Wall. She has received the highest rating of all candidates in an Illin
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines