I had a letter written about my disgust at surveillance cameras, especially at stop lights, and I ran it by my son. He said, “Don’t you realize, if they hadn’t had surveillance cameras out, they wouldn’t have caught those bombers of the Boston Marathon so fast!”
Well, I started rethinking my disgust at spying cameras, and I still think it is an infringement of my civil rights. I guess people have the right to place them in their business. But I still don’t like them.
There is an old adage, “Give a man and inch and he will take a mile.” Once infringement of your freedom starts, where does it end? I remember a while back one man wanted Rush Limbaugh taken off WDAN. Good grief! Doesn’t he realize Rush’s right to be heard is the same as his right to object? After all, the radio does have an off button!
Now with all the leakage of important things and all the phones being listened to, it makes you wonder if, God forbid, war would break out all over if our present set of government could keep us safe.
I know surveillance has come into being because of all the evil in the world, but as Mammy in “Gone with the Wind” told Rhett Butler that Bonnie Blue Butler shouldn’t ride side saddle on her pony. She said “It just ain’t fittin’!”
I agree with this statement about invasion of my privacy — “It just ain’t fittin’!”
- Letters to the Editor
- We need an explanation Editor:In a prior letter I mistakenly said that in the last 30 years (correctly 20 years) health costs have grown only 0.8 percent, year over year, compared to 1.0 percent average since Obamacare became law: Obamacare effects are simply part of a lon
- No Headline Provided Money isn’t everythingEditor:Billionaire Bruce Rauner wants to be our governor here in Illinois. To me that would be like a millionaire running to be the mayor of Danville. He feels like his money is the only qualification that he needs.Here is a man
- No Headline Provided Keep pot out of townEditor:I was confused by the article in a recent Commercial-News about medical cannabis. It first states that strong support for this by local law enforcement. Then a little further down it states that Public Safety Director Larry
- Upset at discarded decorations Editor:I don’t know what is going on down at Georgetown Cemetery, but I find it pretty appalling. For the second year in a row, the arrangement that was placed on my grandparents’ grave has been stolen.Then on July 25, I go out to the cemetery to my
- No Headline Provided Help Make-A-WishEditor:It’s wonderful to make a child’s wish come true. As volunteer wish granters for Make-A-Wish Illinois, we have opportunities to do just that for children with life-threatening illnesses. The children we serve are between the age
- Cruelty to dog inexcusable Cruelty to dog inexcusableEditor:To the low-life who took a beautiful, young, blue and white pit bull-boxer mix, put her in a box, taped it shut and left her to die, I hope karma becomes your best friend.Some low-life did this during the weekend of J
- Hearts & darts Here are a few of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• The family of Teresa Denhart Ramey of Crawfordsville, Ind., — Bob, Rachel and Kendal Ramey; Bob and Mary Elaine Denhart; Betty Smith; and Allen and Julia Denhart and family
- End the excuses End the excusesEditor:Due to our real estate tax bills being late again, parents have to enroll their children in school while trying to pay that bill. According to the news, the cost of school supplies is up this year. So which is to be paid first?O
- Beware of political speak Beware of political speakEditor:When a politician says that his or her policy is working, I want to know, “What is the policy?” and, “What is the cause and effect reasoning leading to a conclusion that the policy is working?” Of course, I never get a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines