I had a letter written about my disgust at surveillance cameras, especially at stop lights, and I ran it by my son. He said, “Don’t you realize, if they hadn’t had surveillance cameras out, they wouldn’t have caught those bombers of the Boston Marathon so fast!”
Well, I started rethinking my disgust at spying cameras, and I still think it is an infringement of my civil rights. I guess people have the right to place them in their business. But I still don’t like them.
There is an old adage, “Give a man and inch and he will take a mile.” Once infringement of your freedom starts, where does it end? I remember a while back one man wanted Rush Limbaugh taken off WDAN. Good grief! Doesn’t he realize Rush’s right to be heard is the same as his right to object? After all, the radio does have an off button!
Now with all the leakage of important things and all the phones being listened to, it makes you wonder if, God forbid, war would break out all over if our present set of government could keep us safe.
I know surveillance has come into being because of all the evil in the world, but as Mammy in “Gone with the Wind” told Rhett Butler that Bonnie Blue Butler shouldn’t ride side saddle on her pony. She said “It just ain’t fittin’!”
I agree with this statement about invasion of my privacy — “It just ain’t fittin’!”
- Letters to the Editor
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Use Lincoln's inspiration Editor:Usually July 4, our country’s birthday, is ushered in with parades, flags and pride.However, with news of a war we never won, loss of respect by our allies, a president whose trust among our people is gradually fading and who is depleting our
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines