I have some serious concerns for some of my neighbors living in our smaller communities around Danville. My concerns are: Where do they get their information for forming the opinions presented in the Commercial-News?
We had 20 babies killed in Connecticut and Mr. Morgan of Covington, Ind., accused us “gun safety” advocates of taking advantage of the tragedy? How sad!
There have never been any laws to prevent gun owners from the right to own guns. We need regulation of weapons just as we do with automobiles. If you cannot see well, you must get corrective lenses to drive. You have to demonstrate you can drive and you are asked about your personal health. And finally, you are forced to get insurance and drive at speeds the state deems safe.
I say we must do the same with weapons.
Trying to conflate a man in China with a knife or people bombing other innocents or God in schools (you do know that there have been shootings in places of worship, right?) are examples of biases in favor of a wild, wild West scenario.
In that case, God save us all.
I am a retired educator of 35 years and weapons in schools is the worst idea ever presented.
Nate Cunningham Sr.
- Letters to the Editor
- Turn your world around Turn your world around This is an open invitation to all those people who are caught up in the mixed-up, less-than-perfect world we live in. This is to all of those who live with their minds set on all of the things they don't like, don't have and se
- Help homeless veterans Editor: I recently read an article about homeless veterans. I remember when Danville Area Community College and Department of Veterans Affairs' campuses was a soldiers' home. There were no homeless veterans then. The veterans who lived there mowed th
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines