I have some serious concerns for some of my neighbors living in our smaller communities around Danville. My concerns are: Where do they get their information for forming the opinions presented in the Commercial-News?
We had 20 babies killed in Connecticut and Mr. Morgan of Covington, Ind., accused us “gun safety” advocates of taking advantage of the tragedy? How sad!
There have never been any laws to prevent gun owners from the right to own guns. We need regulation of weapons just as we do with automobiles. If you cannot see well, you must get corrective lenses to drive. You have to demonstrate you can drive and you are asked about your personal health. And finally, you are forced to get insurance and drive at speeds the state deems safe.
I say we must do the same with weapons.
Trying to conflate a man in China with a knife or people bombing other innocents or God in schools (you do know that there have been shootings in places of worship, right?) are examples of biases in favor of a wild, wild West scenario.
In that case, God save us all.
I am a retired educator of 35 years and weapons in schools is the worst idea ever presented.
Nate Cunningham Sr.
- Letters to the Editor
- Looking forward to bright futures Editor:For the past few weeks I read the great accomplishments of valedictorians from Paxton, Danville, Urbana and Champaign.As a retired science teacher and businessman, I am proud of their achievements and the parents and teachers who contributed t
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines