I want to express my opinion about a letter that recently was in the Commercial-News.
A man said he thought if it hadn’t been for Bush giving so much money to billionaires and banks, Obama could have done a better job.
Well, I don’t quarrel with what he said. That is his opinion and his right.
Now, here is my opinion. What I want to see is less spending of money (pie in the sky) and get down to brass tacks.
I want to see bathroom towels say “Made in America.” I want to see some appliances say “Made in America.” Now I know we have to trade with other nations. When we get so much more an hour for our labor than they get for their labor, something has got to give.
I know this spending trillions we don’t have isn’t the answer and blaming Bush, whether he was bad or not, isn’t going to solve anything either.
What I want to see in any president, whether Republican or Democrat, is for them to get out of their “knickers,” put on their “big boy pants” and act presidential.
As for local politicians, I don’t want emery boards, yardsticks or kisses on my grandchildren. If you are elected to serve, give it your honest best try and be accountable to the people that asked you to be their representative and do the best you can.
I think hard times are coming, and we better stop this terrible spending of money we don’t have.
I don’t know if it’s Bush’s fault or not, but remember, he’s been gone four years. How long are you going to blame him? You can’t spend yourself rich. Let’s reason together.
- Letters to the Editor
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Gambling won't help city Gambling won't help city Editor: Why, if the national average for a city our size is 34 firefighters, do we have to have 51 when we can't afford them? I do not believe the average person realizes that $78 a year could be coming next year through the
- Try a different way to learn Try a different way to learn Editor: I was pleased to read the Freeport Journal Standard supported my view, that increasing the words spoken to poverty infants might eventually lift them from poverty. Finding ways to accomplish this is not the only c
- Support Dillard-Tracy ticket It seems that one Republican candidate for the nomination for governor in the March 18th primary election has spent millions of dollars on TV ads to try and buy his way to the nomination in November.
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines