I want to express my opinion about a letter that recently was in the Commercial-News.
A man said he thought if it hadn’t been for Bush giving so much money to billionaires and banks, Obama could have done a better job.
Well, I don’t quarrel with what he said. That is his opinion and his right.
Now, here is my opinion. What I want to see is less spending of money (pie in the sky) and get down to brass tacks.
I want to see bathroom towels say “Made in America.” I want to see some appliances say “Made in America.” Now I know we have to trade with other nations. When we get so much more an hour for our labor than they get for their labor, something has got to give.
I know this spending trillions we don’t have isn’t the answer and blaming Bush, whether he was bad or not, isn’t going to solve anything either.
What I want to see in any president, whether Republican or Democrat, is for them to get out of their “knickers,” put on their “big boy pants” and act presidential.
As for local politicians, I don’t want emery boards, yardsticks or kisses on my grandchildren. If you are elected to serve, give it your honest best try and be accountable to the people that asked you to be their representative and do the best you can.
I think hard times are coming, and we better stop this terrible spending of money we don’t have.
I don’t know if it’s Bush’s fault or not, but remember, he’s been gone four years. How long are you going to blame him? You can’t spend yourself rich. Let’s reason together.
- Letters to the Editor
- Help homeless veterans Editor: I recently read an article about homeless veterans. I remember when Danville Area Community College and Department of Veterans Affairs' campuses was a soldiers' home. There were no homeless veterans then. The veterans who lived there mowed th
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Board members of Habitat for Humanity of Danville send hearts "to Kem Wiggins for the mural she painted in the service of helping to restore the city-donated firehouse to its
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines