I want to express my opinion about a letter that recently was in the Commercial-News.
A man said he thought if it hadn’t been for Bush giving so much money to billionaires and banks, Obama could have done a better job.
Well, I don’t quarrel with what he said. That is his opinion and his right.
Now, here is my opinion. What I want to see is less spending of money (pie in the sky) and get down to brass tacks.
I want to see bathroom towels say “Made in America.” I want to see some appliances say “Made in America.” Now I know we have to trade with other nations. When we get so much more an hour for our labor than they get for their labor, something has got to give.
I know this spending trillions we don’t have isn’t the answer and blaming Bush, whether he was bad or not, isn’t going to solve anything either.
What I want to see in any president, whether Republican or Democrat, is for them to get out of their “knickers,” put on their “big boy pants” and act presidential.
As for local politicians, I don’t want emery boards, yardsticks or kisses on my grandchildren. If you are elected to serve, give it your honest best try and be accountable to the people that asked you to be their representative and do the best you can.
I think hard times are coming, and we better stop this terrible spending of money we don’t have.
I don’t know if it’s Bush’s fault or not, but remember, he’s been gone four years. How long are you going to blame him? You can’t spend yourself rich. Let’s reason together.
- Letters to the Editor
- Looking forward to bright futures Editor:For the past few weeks I read the great accomplishments of valedictorians from Paxton, Danville, Urbana and Champaign.As a retired science teacher and businessman, I am proud of their achievements and the parents and teachers who contributed t
- Workcamp organizers say thanks Wow! When we first considered bringing Group Workcamps to Danville, we did not hesitate because we know how Danville responds to events that are important to the community ... and boy, did you respond!The first day, we provided the campers with goodi
- Dump Durbin in 2014 Dump Durbin in 2014Editor:Dr. Natalie J. Goldring, of Georgetown University, on June 25, told lobbyists concerned with the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty issue the National Rifle Association (NRA) and others have spread lies about the effect of the treaty on
- Take a stand against violence Take a stand against violenceEditor:My son Kevin A. Jackson was killed three years ago on Valentine’s Day. He would have been 20 on July 22.I have to be part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. Danville, it’s time for us to take a stan
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• Missy Parson, Hope Garrett and Barbara Wright, event coordinators for for Relay for Life of Vermilion County, send hearts “to all who participated in the Relay for Life 2014
- No help for working poor Editor:Whatever happened to the old rule that so long as a person was paying on a bill, service of utilities couldn’t be cut off? For 18 years I have had a perfect payment record. I now have nothing, am paying every penny I do earn at three intermitt
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:Suse Townsley, of Danville, sends hearts to the staff at Presence United Samaritans Medical Center. “I was taken to the hospital on June 22 through June 24 and stayed in the ne
Church cancels popular event
Church cancels popular eventAfter 22 years of hosting the popular St. Anthony’s Salad Luncheon, the ladies of the church group have reluctantly been forced to cancel this year’s luncheon because the Vermilion County Health Department insists all dona
- No Headline Provided I read an interesting article about CEO salaries for S&P 500 companies.
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines