First of all I would like to say A&R Mechanical is proud to be part of the Vermilion Advantage family. I am the division manager of the A&R sub office in Danville. I have been a Danville native my whole 60 years.
Called upon by the owners of A&R, we opened a mechanical contracting shop in Danville four years ago with the goal of providing local families the opportunity to work locally.
A&R is the largest mechanical contractor in central Illinois and, at this time, employs close to 300 people at all our divisions.
Our main office is in Urbana, with sub offices in Danville and Bloomington. When we set up our field offices we set them up to use local people to supply our material, rent our equipment and to buy our vehicles.
We also use the local labor force — pipefitters, laborers, sheet metal workers and the local sub-contractors.
Our goal is to give the local economy a boost. Let the local area people feed their families and pay their bills.
Now to my subject.
The new member is Curry Construction. Curry is from Mattoon, with no office in Danville. Its workers are from everywhere but Danville and Vermilion County. Their workers are under paid and have no health or retirement benefits.
They have done the large project at Full-Fill in Henning and they have received the contract for the new Watchfire construction in Danville. This is no celebration for Vermilion County. All of the money being spent leaves the county none stays here. The material is bought elsewhere, the labor is from somewhere else and they use outside sub-contractors. The trucks they drive are elsewhere. We purchase ours at Vermilion Chevrolet.
What advantage do you see to this company being part of our organization? I see none for the people of Vermilion County. Is the $2,500 they used to sign up that important to Vermilion Advantage?
This company will undermine the years of hard work to keep the local wages stable with benefits for our hard-working people of Vermilion County. Yes the economy is bad right now and work is slow, but do we support an out-of-town contractor that comes in and takes the food and bill money right out of the local people’s hands?
Please reconsider the admission of this company into the registry of the Vermilion Advantage. I know several of the members and they all feel as I do. It isn’t about union or non-union, it’s about what is right for the local businesses and people Vermilion County.
Terry A. Moore
- Letters to the Editor
- Dress code helps students focus Why is there so much fuss over uniforms in school?
- Support Wall on March 18 Editor: On Dec. 14 my friend and her father were on the hunt for a cat/kitten as a Christmas gift for her mother.
- Vote for Wall for judge Vote for Wall for judge Editor: I think Vermilion County voters should know there is truly only one qualified candidate for the position of circuit judge. Her name is Judge Karen Wall. She has received the highest rating of all candidates in an Illin
- Wall is a good judge Wall is a good judge Editor: I ask that you vote for Judge Karen Wall in the Democrat primary election. In 2010, I and the other Circuit Court Judges selected Karen from more than 20 applicants, to serve as an associate judge for Vermilion County. In
- Don't raise taxes again Don't raise taxes again Editor: Here we go again. Danville now wants to charge you if you use the fire department, $150 for the truck and $50 per hour for the firefighters. I wonder if the mayor and aldermen ever look in a mirror and say, "Yep, we mi
- Wall a top-rank judge Wall a top-rank judge Editor: As a former circuit court judge, state's attorney and defense attorney, I have come to know and thereby have been able to evaluate most attorneys in Vermilion County. Judge Karen Wall is, by far, in the top ranks. Judge
- Wall a candidate with integrity Editor: We, as a people in this modern society, are overwhelmed with information, be it important or trivial; for many it takes up their lives in ways some of us cannot even imagine. Facebook and Twitter surround us with the joy and angst of anyone w
- Keep Wall on the bench Keep Wall on the bench Editor: I believe voters have a great choice in the March 18 Democratic primary for resident Circuit Court Judge. Judge Karen Wall is the only candidate of the three Democrats who has judicial experience and the only Democrat r
- Turner a good choice Turner a good choice Editor: It is with much respect for this candidate that I recommend Chad Turner, who is running for the Vermilion County Board's District 5 seat. I have known Chad, professionally and personally, for the last 14 years. Chad is a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines