Can someone please tell me why the City of Danville is considering offering voluntary separation incentives to their current workforce when just a few weeks ago it gave at least three people an average 16.5 percent salary increase?
This “cost-saving measure” is there because “if the state cuts funding ... then the city’s budget will no longer be balanced and personnel costs will likely be needed.”
Really? Did we just wake up this morning and realize this? It is called planning, city officials.
It appears to me that the city is becoming way too top heavy and bottom light.
Do you think those select few are going to go out and keep the streets clean, protect us from criminals, or make sure daily operations are maintained if we have to cut other positions in light of this new revelation? I think not.
I am truly amazed at the nerve of our city officials.
Do you think we the taxpayers are ignorant and can’t figure out the math, or that we suffer amnesia monthly and don’t remember what you did three weeks ago, or that we won’t get sick of this stupidity and one day wipe the current administrative slate clean?
Come on, people. All of us better start calling this game what it is and start letting our voices be heard.
- Letters to the Editor
- We need an explanation Editor:In a prior letter I mistakenly said that in the last 30 years (correctly 20 years) health costs have grown only 0.8 percent, year over year, compared to 1.0 percent average since Obamacare became law: Obamacare effects are simply part of a lon
- No Headline Provided Money isn’t everythingEditor:Billionaire Bruce Rauner wants to be our governor here in Illinois. To me that would be like a millionaire running to be the mayor of Danville. He feels like his money is the only qualification that he needs.Here is a man
- No Headline Provided Keep pot out of townEditor:I was confused by the article in a recent Commercial-News about medical cannabis. It first states that strong support for this by local law enforcement. Then a little further down it states that Public Safety Director Larry
- Upset at discarded decorations Editor:I don’t know what is going on down at Georgetown Cemetery, but I find it pretty appalling. For the second year in a row, the arrangement that was placed on my grandparents’ grave has been stolen.Then on July 25, I go out to the cemetery to my
- No Headline Provided Help Make-A-WishEditor:It’s wonderful to make a child’s wish come true. As volunteer wish granters for Make-A-Wish Illinois, we have opportunities to do just that for children with life-threatening illnesses. The children we serve are between the age
- Cruelty to dog inexcusable Cruelty to dog inexcusableEditor:To the low-life who took a beautiful, young, blue and white pit bull-boxer mix, put her in a box, taped it shut and left her to die, I hope karma becomes your best friend.Some low-life did this during the weekend of J
- Hearts & darts Here are a few of the good things readers noticed around the area recently:• The family of Teresa Denhart Ramey of Crawfordsville, Ind., — Bob, Rachel and Kendal Ramey; Bob and Mary Elaine Denhart; Betty Smith; and Allen and Julia Denhart and family
- End the excuses End the excusesEditor:Due to our real estate tax bills being late again, parents have to enroll their children in school while trying to pay that bill. According to the news, the cost of school supplies is up this year. So which is to be paid first?O
- Beware of political speak Beware of political speakEditor:When a politician says that his or her policy is working, I want to know, “What is the policy?” and, “What is the cause and effect reasoning leading to a conclusion that the policy is working?” Of course, I never get a
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines