Sometimes faith is just an excuse to not have to deal with things. Maybe the Great Spirit is losing faith in us? What if droughts keep coming, storms blow them away, then there’s more? What if the forests keep burning, dust blows in and crops dry up? Is this possible? Why not?
What’s the plan if the shade tree dies, the power goes out and things get hotter? Who do we call if the signal quits? God? Maybe he had enough and wants us to fix it ourselves. Maybe it’s time we spend what little money is left on preserving His environment instead of destroying its inhabitants. When it becomes dangerous to exist outside and people start depending on bottled water, what is the back-up plan?
Technology takes more jobs, the newspaper, the mail, etc. When your freedom is simply bought and sold, where are you going to go? To heaven? What about grandchildren who are left behind? Where’s their back-up plan?
Why not employ young people to be environmental soldiers? Maybe it’s time we start irrigating, cleaning up, and protecting from environmental catastrophes instead of letting corporations profit off warfare in the name of freedom.
When eventually there’s not enough to go around, what is the back-up plan for “freedom to earn as much as you want?”
Perhaps, we must continue to move forward but leave no one behind.
- Letters to the Editor
- Turn your world around Turn your world around This is an open invitation to all those people who are caught up in the mixed-up, less-than-perfect world we live in. This is to all of those who live with their minds set on all of the things they don't like, don't have and se
- Help homeless veterans Editor: I recently read an article about homeless veterans. I remember when Danville Area Community College and Department of Veterans Affairs' campuses was a soldiers' home. There were no homeless veterans then. The veterans who lived there mowed th
- Help CASA help children Help CASA help children To most of us, society's problems such as poverty, abuse and violence seem overwhelming. What can we do to end these cycles that trap generations of people? We are tempted to turn away because it feels like trying to stop a wi
- Give instead of take Editor: I hear a lot of black churches talking about things in the name of Jesus Christ, but I don't see them giving in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus was not about money. With some of these pastors, give them 30 pieces of silver and they will sell
- Give Obama credit Give Obama credit Editor: The idea of everyone respecting you from a positive position is not possible. As for President Obama, if he raises a hand to help the poor they call him either a socialist or a racist in so much as they equate poor to being
- Calling wrong right Calling wrong right Editor: On Nov. 21, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn not only signed a bill legalizing homosexual marriage, but he stated that it was his unfinished business to help other states achieve that goal. I am not surprised he signed the bill at
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, t
- Hearts & darts Here are some of the good things readers noticed around the area recently: Kelly Truex, principal at Danville's Garfield Elementary School, sends hearts "to Walmart for its generous donation. All students at Garfield will benefit from the extra suppl
- Down memory lane Down memory lane Editor: The recent article on Germantown took me down memory lane. My husband and I were married in 1946 and bought a house on Norman Street in Germantown. Everything that was written about came back to me -- several stores, the fire
- Submit Your Letter!
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines