The Commercial-News, Danville, IL

Hoopeston

September 19, 2013

Hoopeston church marks its 100th year

HOOPESTON — First Church of God of Hoopeston will mark its Centennial Celebration at 3 p.m. Sunday with free food, beverages, plenty of games for children and adults and a lot of musical entertainment.

The church, located at 1010 E. Orange St. (Illinois Route 9), began its journey in 1913 as an old-fashioned tent meeting on the Charles Beaver farm in Wellington. As the congregation grew from little cottage prayer meetings, a more permanent meeting place was necessary to hold the growing congregation. The church rented a building on West Main to house its services. That building, which served the church from about 1914 to 1926, still stands, most recently known as Zarate’s Market.

Later in the early 1920s, the congregation’s expansion made it necessary to expand its facility even more. The church made the decision to buy land on West Penn Street between First and Second Avenue to construct a two-story building to house 175 people, a choir loft, four classrooms, a coal furnace/storage area and a washroom. The new church was dedicated in 1926.

Once again the congregation outgrew its building. Land was purchased in 1958 on the north side of East Orange Street to construct a new church. Plans were drawn up for the first phase of the one-story building, donations collected for building materials, and the erection of the new church began. On January 1968, according to history, “the congregation caravanned from the ‘little church on Penn Street’ to its present home.”

The first phase included the sanctuary, baptismal pool and choir loft, three classrooms, a small kitchenette, two restrooms and attic storage.

Phase II for the church began in 1979 after a generous bequest to the congregation. The addition, which included the pastor’s study, four new classrooms and the fellowship hall, was completed and dedicated in 1980.

An unusual event happened in October 2005 that surprised and elated members of the church. A quilt made by the ladies of First Church of God in 1938 with all members of the church inscribed on it, appeared on Ebay and sold for $200 to a Cissna Park couple. The quilt finally made its way home through the efforts of Doc and Pam Whiteman, and now resides on the wall in the church library, a piece of history from the “little church on Penn Street.”

Text Only
Hoopeston
E-edition
AP Video
Furry Roommates: Dorms Allowing Cats and Dogs Raw: Wash. Mudslides Close Roads, Trap Motorists DC's Godfather of Go-Go Honored Ukraine Calls Russian Convoy a 'direct Invasion' Girl Meets Her 'one in the World' Match Coal Gas Boom in China Holds Climate Risks Japan Landslide Rescuers Struggle in Heavy Rain Raw: Severe Floods, Fire Wrecks Indiana Homes Endangered Red Wolves Face Uncertain Future Raw: Russian Aid Convoy Arrives in Ukraine Okla. Policeman Accused of Sex Assaults on Duty Dominican Republic Bans Miley Cyrus Concert Raw: Israeli Air Strike in Gaza Raw: Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in Malaysia Attorney: Utah Eatery Had Other Chemical Burn
NDN Video
Four-Year-Old Reviews Exclusive Restaurant's $295 Fixed Price Menu Mariah Orders Nick Cannon to Stay Quiet About Divorce Details U.S. Military Strategy Against ISIS The London Zoo holds its annual animal weigh-in Rapper Almost Walks Off CNN Over Ferguson Coverage VIDEO: Goliath Grouper eats shark in one bite 2 American Ebola Patients Released From Hospital Whoa! Jimmy Fallon Shaves Jared Leto's Beard US Mission to Rescue Hostages in Syria Failed Reggie Jackson's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Amazing Encounter With Sea Otter Caught on Video Motorcyclist Sticks Landing Sicilian hilltop homes on sale for one euro Are Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Breaking Up? Joel McHale Interviews Chelsea This 'Breaking Bad' Reunion is the Most Hilarious Thing You'll See All Day! President Obama talks about who James Foley was Nicki Minaj Unleashes Her 'Anaconda' On the World Watch Helicopter Perform Aerial Ballet Can Buckeyes fill Miller's void?
Must Read