By Justin Dennis
CNHI News Service
If you spent Black Friday in a turkey coma, it's not too late to snatch up money-saving deals during Cyber Monday. Sales started at midnight – and you don’t even have to put on pants to take advantage of them.
The term “Cyber Monday” was coined in 2005 by a National Retail Federation website, Shop.org, in an effort to divert some of the hype surrounding Black Friday. Although almost anything can be purchased with a click online, tech deals are the star of the show.
Shoppers can visit CyberMonday.com, a deal aggregate site under the Shop.org wing, for a collection of participating retailers. Take a look at some of the most talked-about deals below:
• Get a free HTC One with a two-year contract at att.com/shop/wireless.html.
Normally $75 with the aforementioned contract and an online discount tacked on, this deal makes picking up the widely favored Android smartphone an even easier decision.
• Get a Moto X for $349 (16GB) or $399 (32GB) at motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all.html.
The Moto X comes in a variety of colors, but the most striking part of this deal is the variety of network contracts available. After purchase, the Moto X can be contracted to any of the four major U.S. carriers: AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.
• Get a 10-inch ASUS Transformer T100 tablet for $299 at microsoftstore.com.
It’s being hailed as the Microsoft Surface killer. This ASUS rig is part-tablet, part-detachable laptop and comes with a 1.2 megapixel camera. The 11 hours of battery life, a total weight under three pounds and pre-installed Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 means the Transformer is a perfect tool for school.
• Get a Samsung 46-inch 1080p LED HDTV for $477.99.
• Get a Panasonic 47-inch or 55-inch 1080p 240Hz Smart 3D LED HDTV for 40 percent off.
• Get a Roku HD streaming media player for $39.99.
• Get a Dyson multi-floor compact canister vacuum cleaner for $179.
• Get 50 percent off select toys, all at amazon.com.
HDTVs are always the first deals to sell out on Black Friday. Amazon is giving shoppers another chance at a tried-and-true Samsung brand flat-screen as well as bringing the movie theater home in a 3D TV with a very slick 240Hz refresh rate.
The Roku HD box is quickly becoming the streaming media center of choice. Amazon’s deal knocks $20 off, making it cheaper to bring its wide array of web-based content, including Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus and Pandora Internet Radio into your living room.
• Get blockbuster PC games for less than $10. Deals are constantly changing at store.steampowered.com.
It’s always a good time to shop on Steam, the digital game distribution giant slashes prices each season. For this year’s Autumn Sale, the deals are really rock-bottom. Recently, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim went for under $10 and RPG classic Fable and all its extra content sold for a little more than $2. The deals are always changing, so keep an eye out for your favorites.
• Get a LeapFrog LeapPad 2 Crayola Creativity Pack Bundle for $69.
• Get a Playstation 4 bundled with a Dualshock 4 controller and one game for $517.
• Get an Xbox One bundled with a choice of game or accessory for $559, all at walmart.com/cybermonday.
Wal-Mart is offering slightly thrifty bundle deals on the latest generation of video game consoles – a good choice if accessories or high-demand games are out of stock and your gamer needs something to play on their shiny new system. Also, the LeapFrog LeapPad 2 is a $60 savings.
Details for this story provided by the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat.